• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for an Android app that will allow me to use only the 3 apps I've explicitly whitelisted

cutedroid

Jan 3, 2013
Hi. I'm CuteDroid, and I'm a netaholic. I've been sober for 10 minutes.

I'm looking for help. I'm looking for something that will lock down my phone and will only let me use one of three apps when I tell it to. The three apps are Amazon Kindle, Moon Reader, and Play Books.

I've checked out many other apps, but the problem with them, for my usage, is that they are "blacklist apps". They work by knowing what apps you want to block. For example, Facebook and Instagram. But I want to work on my netaholism the other way around. In other words. I want apps that I explicitly whitelist to be accessible to me. (The 3 reading apps I've specified).

Last edited:
I'm looking for something that will lock down my phone and will only let me use one of three apps when I tell it to. The three apps are Amazon Kindle, Moon Reader, and Play Books.
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but...

What launcher do you use? If it, like mine, lets you have a nice, clean desktop with apps neatly organized in app drawer categories, how about this: remove all desktop icons except the three you want; organize your app drawer by category, making one contain only the three apps, and hide all your other apps.

With ADW Launcher, I have no icons on my home screens, and have everything categorized:

ADW_categories.jpg

You could use its hiding feature to hide everything but your three apps, then be required to jump through a minor hoop to access them. It's not perfect, but it's a thought. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones