• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help M8 s802 - can't get into boot mode with toothpick

My current box has Android 4.4.2 which Kodi 17 doesn't work on, and apparently I can't upgrade to Android 5 so I'm looking to make the move. The problem is the toothpick method doesn't work. What happens is I hold the toothpick in and plug in the power, and the A9 Mali 450 box displays for about 20 seconds, quickly vanishes, then reappears, and that repeats itself. I never get a boot menu or anything.

All at this point, I have no way to go to Libre or openelec as alternatives

Does anyone have any suggestions based on previous experience/stories? Appreciate any and all help. Thank you

Isn't OpenElec intended for running on PC hardware or a Raspberry Pi, and NOT cheapo Android box? The toothpick in the hole thing is probably just to reset/reboot it, if and when it crashes.

As for what you've got there, with it being cheapo, manufacturer updates are not going to happen. So quite frankly I think you'll have to replace it. If you want to use OpenElec, I can recommend Raspberry Pi 3. I've got one.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones