• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Managing data usage

KathyJM

Jan 16, 2012
UK
I have started using Google Maps/Navigation as a sat nav. However, because I have mobile data switched on to use this, my phone downloads emails, etc, while I am driving, which uses more data (also I don't need the distraction).

Is there a setting to tell my phone to use mobile data for only this app? I already have 'download by Wi-Fi only set for new apps.

Also, can I set a default volume for this app?

Reactions: becky andolina
Background data is data that apps use while you're not actually using that app, like auto checking for new email when you're not in your email app.

You can disable all background data - Settings > Data Usage > Menu > Restrict Background Data. (might vary slightly by phone)

Or on most phones you can disable background data on an app by app basis:
1. Go to your phones Settings menu.
2. Tap Data Usage
3. Scroll down to the app and tap it.
4. Scroll down and tap to check Restrict Background Data.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I certainly don't have a setting for only Maps to use mobile data, but I always use Maps in off-line mode so have data switched off anyway. If you have available storage I would suggest you try it. An alternative is to use a navigation app such as Magic Earth.

You can select one of three volume settings for Google Maps. When you are on the navigation page swipe up from the bottom information panel or tap the small up-arrow bottom right to bring up a menu, tap Settings and you will find the 'Voice level' control. There is also a 'Play test sound' option.

Screenshot_20170506-164235.png Screenshot_20170506-163959.png Screenshot_20170506-163948.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones