• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maximum Ring Time

My guess: most callers will hang up if no one answers after 30 seconds.

There might be an app to shorten the ring time, but I'd assume only the carrier could extend it.
Thanks Kate. The 30 seconds maximum seems universal among all carriers, and so far my research confirms only carrier(s) can change it.

Your idea that it's a function how long people will wait to hang up, is interesting, and seems to imply that not connecting or leaving voice mail is preferential to talking to real person, since if the ring times were longer, it would certainly increase a percentage of completed calls.

My point is, I guess, that unless there is some technological reason for 30 second rule, and your suggestion is correct, that the carriers are making some sort of "value" judgment about consumer patience. Don't think I want them making that decision for me.

Upvote 0
Your idea that it's a function how long people will wait to hang up, is interesting, and seems to imply that not connecting or leaving voice mail is preferential to talking to real person, since if the ring times were longer, it would certainly increase a percentage of completed calls.

It might be based more on callers thinking "they haven't answered in 30 seconds so they're probably not by their phone."

The 30 seconds maximum seems universal among all carriers, and so far my research confirms only carrier(s) can change it.

I'm sure when voicemail became popular carriers did focus studies to determine the average time to answer a phone and how long callers were willing to let the phone ring. :cashdroid::cashdroid:

Upvote 0
well..

I and my friend.. we share an ATT plan. saves money.
he has an iPhone.. and I have android phones.

it seems to me.. he has more time to get his call...
I can barely get mine out of my pocket .. and still often miss the call.

I will try to have some time with his phone.. and do some stopwatch tests.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the good replies. Most interesting.

Puni-I am most interested in your research.

That said, I still would like to know if there is a "technical " reason for the cap. In other words, why do the carriers care? I certainly understand why carriers might not want the ring times set too high, but why 30 seconds...Why not 45 seconds or one minute, or better yet why not set the limit at number of rings (say 10) instead of total ring time?

Finally, I would like to know if any of you would object to an increase to 45 seconds vs 30 seconds, and how many of you would take advantage of longer ring times?

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Upvote 0
Why carriers limit maximum ring times to 30 seconds?
Is there a way around the carrier limitation?
Does the limitation apply to non-android phones?
Thanks

That would be very frustrating to not be notified on missed calls! Let's get this fixed! Did this start after an application was downloaded. Please power the device on in safe mode and retest. Here's how to power on in safe mode: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=59242
Also you might try
Zedge
Jacqueline Bruschi

Upvote 0
Call into AT&T tech support and we can change your ring time for you :cool:
Two things:
(1)The codes that Jacqueline suggested don't work-I get error messages: 58#-"Unable to find a SIM Contact at position #58"-note the reversal of 58 & #, and no dial tone. Thanks anyway.

(2)Princess Lauren-I've called ATT several times over the past few years (latest December 2015) and am always told I have the maximum rings already. Has something changed in last 6 months?

Upvote 0
Two things:
(1)The codes that Jacqueline suggested don't work-I get error messages: 58#-"Unable to find a SIM Contact at position #58"-note the reversal of 58 & #, and no dial tone. Thanks anyway.

(2)Princess Lauren-I've called ATT several times over the past few years (latest December 2015) and am always told I have the maximum rings already. Has something changed in last 6 months?

It may be your smart phone, but for some I know for sure it can be changed to 45-60 sec.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones