• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Menu, Home, Back, Search Keys, & Power Button Fail in Browser

Ashton2

Apr 29, 2012
I'm trying to curb my anger over this, but here is the issue.

The Menu, Home, Back, Search Keys of my Fascinate become unresponsive when web browsing, usually once per day or every other day. Usually when I'm working with a client or associates at work. Very embarrassing as I hear about all the fruit phones and newer android handsets never failing.

At this point in my waterboard session, the handset screen will stay on until the battery dies. Pressing the power button takes a screen snap-shot. I must slip off the case, remove the battery, and reinsert the battery to regain use of my phone. 6 months of this is about all I can take.

I frequently clear the memory. And keep all unused apps closed.

Is this normal for Android users? Should I scrap this handset? Does syware accumulate as in a PC?

Any help appreciated.

What version of Android do you have?

No, it's not normal. No, it's not the Fascinate handset as a whole. I have one and I know two others who use theirs much more than I do with little to no problems.

Yes, malware is a known issue on all mobile devices, including Android phones. Depending on where you browse and the apps you install, you can pick up things ranging from poorly written phone apps or web scripts to info-stealing phone-hacking viruses.

You also get so zealous about closing stuff that you end up shutting down services that need to be running -- or your phone will freeze!

What to try? I have no idea how knowledgable you are about your phone or thd Android system, so here are some generic suggestions:
-- Search these forums for good antivirus apps. Pick one, download it, and run it -- three times.
-- Search the forums for stopping or killing apps and services. Read and heed; act responsibly.
-- Consider backing up all your files to the card, remove the card, and do a factory reset. Search the forum to find out how.

The phone is not necessarily bad. That doesn't mean you didn't get a lemon. Many Verizon techs are pretty helpful. That doesn't mean you won't get a lemon. If you do wind up calling or personally talking to a Verizon tech, insist on one who has used the phone - not just someone who has "had the training" and can read instructions off the computer screen.

Good luck!
Ed

Upvote 0
If you go to your home screen and hit the menu button, the bottom choice is Phone Info. You'll see:
-- Firmware version
-- Baseband version
-- Kernal version
-- Build number

If your firmware is 2.2.2, then you can go to the top - System updates - and see if you can get the 2.3 update.

Ed

Upvote 0
I ran the Check New, under system updates. It came back with 'No new software update available'.

Hardware Version: I500.04
Firmware Version: 2.2.2
Baseband version: S:i500.04 V.ED05
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build Number: SCH-I500.ED05

What other method could I use to upgrade to version 2.3?
I'll check Samsung's website.

Upvote 0
If you're comfortable with your computer, you can search through the forums for how to get the 2.3 update and load it manually. Look for posts that talk about the update freezing; other key words could be ODIN and apk.

You might also consider going root. It's not a bad option, but it's not for everyone.

And then there's the backup/factory reset option.

Me - I'm still running 2.1. My phone froze up every time Verizon pushed the 2.2 and 2.3 updates. But mine still works okay, so I'm not messing with it at the moment. I have considered doing a total backup, then telling Verizon the phone is gimped (because it won't receive and install the updates) and getting another one but with all updates already installed.

The Fascinate phone really isn't a bad piece of work as a rule. But with Verizon's bloatware, updates that might not set well with apps you have installed, apps fighting with each other, and "clever" pieces of web scripts scattered all over everywhere, it can get so full of junk that it's like trying to tow a yacht down the freeway with a Toyota Camry.

Good luck!
Ed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones