• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] Problems with 4.1.2 Camera

Samson Inc.

Sep 20, 2011
South Florida
Hey everyone!

Here's the issue i'm having. When I made the jump from stock to something non-tw, it was to AOKP 4.1.2. Everything worked great except for the camera. When I would launch it, i would get the message "Camera Error. Can't Connect to the camera." Then I figuered I would try CM based on 4.1.2. Same problem. Then I stumbled upon BigMelon's AOKP 4.2.2 and gave it a shot but not really expecting the camera to work. But it did! It worked! Pac-Man rom camera worked as well, but i was less than crazy about Pac-Man. I made the switch back to AOKP 4.2.2 and stuck with it until a day or two ago, when i decided to give MIUI a spin. So far i'm really digging this rom, except for the camera. that's right, back to the old "Can't connect to the camera" problem. I've come to the conclusion that my s3 must not like any flavor of 4.1.2 except for TW.

I've read the MIUI thread here and saw that noone reported a problem like this, so it must be working for a good amount of you. I've also glanced over this entire subforum and didn't find any thread for camera problems. Most problem threads here have some ridiculously ambiguous titles, and after googling "s3 MIUI can't connect to the camera" and following some leads on XDA, I still cant figure this out. Some of the directories i saw in XDA posts for potential fixes don't exist on this phone. I've also flashed back to stock and tried using the dialer code method in one of those threads as well, but i get nothing, just a phone ready to call whatever code i punched in. I'm not a total noob, but i'm no android lord either. There's must be some way to fix this. I'd really like to stick with MIUI, but i'm ok with AOKP. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I also think it's worth mentioning that i always wipe data/ wipe cache/ wipe dalvik(in that order) before flashing any ROM. In the case with MIUI, i've gone back into recovery and wiped dalvik and fixed permissions after coming across this error just to see if that would help, but no dice.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones