• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS unlocked crisis in NYC Long Island Area

nycconsumer

Lurker
Aug 31, 2017
hi, having a major problem with my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 (originally was ATT). its been working fine since October 2016, suddenly since July 2017, last month VOICE calls are simply not working right, normal. If you move 20 ft from were you are calls drop, if you're driving, forget it, no luck.

Here's what I know, so far:
1- In july 2017, there was a VERIZON, outage, a tree or something, in Queens NY, came down, took out VERIZON's fibre network at around 2am, its a public news story, google-able. At that exact time, my metropcs service cut off for about 1 hour, I dont know why. I dont live in Queens i live in long island.
Just a point i wanna make.
2- Since exactly that time, my voice call service has not been the same, can't drive and talk, can hardly even walk and talk. I've gone thru settings 50 times over and can't figure it out.
3- the #metropcs dealers, I've spoken to 5 including the corporate store in Westbury, they have no clue, i've got 5 different reasons, suggested about service and 611metro support says the stores are wrong.
The reasons give to me from the stores are A: because i havent updated my appz (ridiculous), B- Because samsung changed the frequencies anything below S6 won't work (ridiculous) C- Because Metro changed the frequencies D- its an issue with any unlocked ATT phones on the metro network, and E-metro changed the frequencies and anything below Android 7 won't work.
6- Living in NAssau county, it gets worse when i hit the queens border or down by jones beach areas. This was never a problem pre-july 2017

I really need to know, anybody else who's having this problem or solved it, I dont wanna keep buying phones. I tried and old Tmobile phone/prepaid on tmobile and it works thru the whole queens, long island area, no problem. If metro truly "shares with tmobile" then why does my tmobile only phone work in the regions Metro does not, including my own street, including, all my above points (walking 20 ft, etc..)/

Thanks in advance.

hi, having a major problem with my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 (originally was ATT). its been working fine since October 2016, suddenly since July 2017, last month VOICE calls are simply not working right, normal. If you move 20 ft from were you are calls drop, if you're driving, forget it, no luck.

Here's what I know, so far:
1- In july 2017, there was a VERIZON, outage, a tree or something, in Queens NY, came down, took out VERIZON's fibre network at around 2am, its a public news story, google-able. At that exact time, my metropcs service cut off for about 1 hour, I dont know why. I dont live in Queens i live in long island.
Just a point i wanna make.

Queens is in Long Island isn't it, well it was last time I went to NYC. :) Could be Verizon has their network switching centre in Queens, and the fibre outage possibly affected things elsewhere in Long Island. Metro PCS is a MVNO that uses the Verizon network?

2- Since exactly that time, my voice call service has not been the same, can't drive and talk, can hardly even walk and talk. I've gone thru settings 50 times over and can't figure it out.
3- the #metropcs dealers, I've spoken to 5 including the corporate store in Westbury, they have no clue, i've got 5 different reasons, suggested about service and 611metro support says the stores are wrong.
The reasons give to me from the stores are A: because i havent updated my appz (ridiculous), B- Because samsung changed the frequencies anything below S6 won't work (ridiculous) C- Because Metro changed the frequencies D- its an issue with any unlocked ATT phones on the metro network, and E-metro changed the frequencies and anything below Android 7 won't work.
6- Living in NAssau county, it gets worse when i hit the queens border or down by jones beach areas. This was never a problem pre-july 2017

I really need to know, anybody else who's having this problem or solved it, I dont wanna keep buying phones. I tried and old Tmobile phone/prepaid on tmobile and it works thru the whole queens, long island area, no problem. If metro truly "shares with tmobile" then why does my tmobile only phone work in the regions Metro does not, including my own street, including, all my above points (walking 20 ft, etc..)/

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried your unlocked S4 with another SIM, possibly a different network?

Upvote 0
hi all, to address some of your questions, i spoke to another metropcs store out east in mastic, here was their view, "they're having problems with all unlocked phones on the metropcs network, in NY and CT." which kinda more or less supports what a few other stores told me. one metro store owner in queens told me his unlocked iphone6s isnt working right and all his customers are having poblems wiht unlocked phones.

Recap metropcs 611 help which is good for nothing says everythings great and this is not true and they support unlocked phones.
To Fox above, which model phone do u have? If its a tmobile phone or a metro phone there are no problems, this is only regarding unlocked phones which %99 of the ones floating around like my 3 galaxy S4's are originally ATT and now unlocked.

The tests I did today, on a lesson from metro store out east, YES you can use a tmobile phone and it doesnt have to be unlocked, I switched for a few hours to my tmobile LOCKED blaze, using its IMEI, and put in my metro simm and it worked flawless on the 30 miles ride home from mastic to nassau.
And yes, I put my tmobile SIMM in my (problematic), Galaxy S4 Unlocked and it worked flawless.

So was much as Metropcs lies that BYOD works, it did before and its not working now. I welcome to hear from anybody who has an unlocked phone working any place in the country on metro, please tell me the model and the original carrier it was.

To my view the market is flooded on ebay with "unlocked ATT TMOBILE " etc.. and its rare to find a tmobile only unlocked (where the boot screen would be tmobile)...

The theory in these stores is metro wants to sell phones so they changed the frequencies, doesnt sound right to me, but anyway thanks for the feedback. I'll probably just switch my galaxy to Tmobile permanently if this doesnt get resolved soon. I like hotspots and Tmobile doesnt do 4g hotspot, only metro does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones