• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SD card no longer supported after 6.0.1 update

A

Android Question

Greetings fellow android users!

So I ran the 6.0.1 update on my HTC one A9 this morning, and once the update was complete and my phone booted up it informed me that the micro SD card is not supported and needs formatting.

The thing is the card is formatted. It was formatted as internal storage when I got the phone earlier this year. I know that when you choose to format the SD card as internal storage, it warns you that it will not be usable on other devices. But for the love of god since when does that mean the device that formatted it cannot use it post update?!

Anyone else got any experience with this issue or know of a fix. I have all my apps, films, music and photos on the SD card, so a straightforward reformat is out of the question.

Anything is much appreciated,

Tom

I've also not been able to find other reports of such a problem, but of course that doesn't help you. The reason you can't use it in other devices after "adopting" it is that it's been encrypted (and formatted to the ext4 format, but any Linux-based device would understand that), nothing more. If the encryption key got corrupted in the update that would be very bad, but let's hope it's not that.

Now I've no experience of this, as I don't have Marshmallow, so I can only take some generic guesses. In case it's just a glitch, have you tried rebooting again, or failing that forcing a restart by pressing and holding the power button? Unlikely to fix it, but you never know, and should do no harm. Removing and replacing the card is another trivial and unlikely thing, but might be worth a go.

Hopefully someone with experience of adoptable storage will see this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones