• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Microsoft reveals subscription pricing for using Windows 10 beyond 2025

They'll just blindly upgrade to Windows 11... without reading all the microscopic fine print that says Microsoft owns & controls their computers. Need proof? A Microsoft account is required just to log in! You can't use a local login and password with Win11. I read that fine print... and I refuse to upgrade, no matter how many time Windows 10 urges me to do it.

Nice to see you, @kate - it's been a long time!

Reactions: kate and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I suppose Nick will pop in and tell me how safe Windows 7 is without updates
I will gladly say that using a modern OS isn't magically immune either. I can easily infect the work PC with malware by mistyping an URL and Windows Defender won't say a word.

But at least I don't have to pay to use my OS of choice, and I am quite confident the UI won't suddenly change at the drop of a hat, and there ain't any telemetry giving my data out. Windows 10 is infinitely less secure because of its telemetry.

Either way, common sense wins out more than tons of idiot proofing. I removed all forms of idiot proofing from my home (all the GFCIs deleted) because I'm not a moron who sticks forks into electrical outlets. What irks me is that every time it rained half my house lost power for days because a GFCI in the garage tripped and refuse to reset, and there was absolutely nothing wrong. Why should I be inconvenienced because some negletful parent let little Johnny play with electricity?!

Also, anything promoting "life as a service" is total bunk I want no part in.

Upvote 0
This is going to hurt alot of businesses, nothing too drastic, but still a hurt.
To be fair, it will more hurt the smaller businesses. I was running an enterprise environment back when Win7 reached EOS and licensing for Enterprise customers was handled similarly. When you have hundreds of PCs it spurs you to get them upgraded and in that kind of environment it is handled relatively easily.
Small businesses aren’t Enterprise customers and are far less likely to have quality IT staff who can efficiently handle the upgrade process, so they will take longer to get it done and are more likely to run into an issue where they need to buy those update subscriptions. The expense ramps up so steeply in order to spur companies to get off the old systems. The idea is to incentivize them to upgrade in a way that still keeps them protected and gives them time to wrap up all the upgrades.

The real difference now is that they are offering this “benefit” to the general public/home users. When Win7 hit EOS, folks in those groups were just left to fend for themselves; they couldn’t get updates for Win7 (although the enterprise customers could and did).

Along the way MS did release some “free” critical patches for all users of Win7 even after it was no longer supported.

I guess I don’t need to think about replacing the slightly-buggy keyboard on my laptop…since I have to replace the whole thing. ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones