• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mint Mobile and WIFI calling confusion

Treegirl

Lurker
Jun 19, 2022
Been using Republic Wireless for years, but since DISH bought them, everything has changed. Looking to get out!!!! I don't understand Mint Mobile's wifi calling. Why do I have to give a 911 address to access it? Does that mean that it only works when I am in that location? I am very mobile, so when I'm not home, can I log into a different wifi? This is what I loved about RW, but not sure if any other carrier allows for that kind of freedom.

Reactions: Hydra119
Wi-Fi calling is dependent upon your carrier, and each carrier can be different.

For me, it is not worth the hassle.

I just use a wi-Fi calling app, like Dingtone, or another messaging service app like Telegram.

Dingtone works like a normal phone number, whereas Telegram requires the other party to also be using Telegram.

Dingtone uses credits that are simple to earn for free (ads) or purchase for cheap.

Telegram is free to use and ad-free.

These work anywhere I can get wi-fi, which I have to do if I want any service at all, really.

Upvote 0
Why do I have to give a 911 address to access it? .
When you first enable Wi-Fi Calling, you must provide your service provider with the primary street address at which the Wi-Fi Calling service will be used because, if you call 911 over Wi-Fi, your service provider may transmit Your E911 Registered Address to the 911 Communications Center to use to help emergency responders locate you. If you are somewhere else when you call 911, you will need to provide the 911 operator with your current location. [Check you RW account. I believe they asked for a Registered Address for 911, too.]

Does that mean that it only works when I am in that location? I am very mobile, so when I'm not home, can I log into a different wifi?
Once enabled, you may use wifi calling anywhere you have access to do so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones