• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mint Sim with Alcatel - network drops

Rob Henerey

Sep 10, 2015
I'm a new Mint Sim customer using an unlocked Alcatel One Touch Idol 3, and for a few days I could make and get phone calls. But now the phone keeps dropping the Network Carrier selection. After I pick one, be it 3G or 4G it will try to 'register' for a moment, then says it's done, registered, but then trying to make a phone call it says "Mobile network is not available. Then, returning to the Network Carrier setting, it will show none selected. "Auto select" doesn't help. It's done this repeatedly over several days. On the Mint SIM/T-Mobile coverage map the zone is totally dark green 4G. This was originally a Cricket/ATT phone where it worked flawlessly for calls for several months. The Mint SIM techs have had me remove/reset the SIM a couple of times, with no lasting success, it's only good for a few minutes. Now they've offered to send me a new SIM. Should I bother with that, do some tweak, or give up on Mint?

I'm a new Mint Sim customer using an unlocked Alcatel One Touch Idol 3, and for a few days I could make and get phone calls. But now the phone keeps dropping the Network Carrier selection. After I pick one, be it 3G or 4G it will try to 'register' for a moment, then says it's done, registered, but then trying to make a phone call it says "Mobile network is not available. Then, returning to the Network Carrier setting, it will show none selected. "Auto select" doesn't help. It's done this repeatedly over several days. On the Mint SIM/T-Mobile coverage map the zone is totally dark green 4G. This was originally a Cricket/ATT phone where it worked flawlessly for calls for several months. The Mint SIM techs have had me remove/reset the SIM a couple of times, with no lasting success, it's only good for a few minutes. Now they've offered to send me a new SIM. Should I bother with that, do some tweak, or give up on Mint?

Sounds like it might be IMEI carrier blacklisted, given it worked and now it doesn't, and is refusing to stay connected. Where did you buy the phone, and was it new or second hand? Your carrier, Mint Sim should able to check the status of the phone's IMEI on their network, and confirm it's clean or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like it might be IMEI carrier blacklisted, given it worked and now it doesn't, and is refusing to stay connected. Where did you buy the phone, and was it new or second hand? Your carrier, Mint Sim should able to check the status of the phone's IMEI on their network, and confirm it's clean or not.

Thanks Mike.

1. It ~was~ a new phone, bought from Cricket in Sept 2016. Very light usage, but worked flawlessly.
  2. Before signing up for Mint, their site had me input the IMEI, and it said Compatible, no other details.
  3. Mint tech has now told me it won't work for WiFi *calling*, though it does work for WiFi data. When I try to call right next to my Wifi router it will still say "Mobile network is not available". This will be a concern when away from home and out of tower range, say in a shop with WiFi. This in itself might be a deal-breaker once I've used my pre-paid.
  4. Nearly 2 hours on my landline with Mint tech, they never once asked my IMEI.
  5. Given it's basically T-Mobile and I travel very little, my Main concern is making and getting calls within my usual 20-mile radius, all 4G on their maps.

Upvote 0
Rob,
What mike is getting at is the phone may be carrier locked to AT&T. Contact them to verify that they have unlocked it. they are usually pretty accommodating so long as you don't owe them money and aren't under contract.

As far as Mint Sim goes, I've been happy with their coverage and service.

PS. I moved this to the Mint Sim carrier channel where others that use the service may be able to lend a hand.

Upvote 0
Go Pats! Ah, good to be moved to the Mint sub, what I meant anyway, thanks. Yes, I gathered about the unlocked issue. Earlier on I had to get the unlock code from Cricket, so that's done and gone. And yes it seemed like people were happy with Mint. That and the rates pulled me into signing. I've been waiting a couple of days now for Mint to reply to my latest email or to call me .. on .. my landline. :thumbsdowndroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mint refunded my 3 months $, yay. But now I have a clue about what might've gone wrong. I got a SIM from another MVNO and it not only wouldn't pick up Any network, but also upon Restart the tray area threw an alert NO SIM found. A trip to BB revealed that the tray/receptor for the SIM in my handset didn't tolerate where the gold sim was cracked off the cardboard frame. The same frame/sim worked fine in the rep's iPhone and his own sim worked fine in my tray. Waiting now for a new sim.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones