• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS not Downloaded from one Specific Person

gnerstil

Lurker
Sep 23, 2016
Alright this is a very strange issue, and am really curious if anyone has any suggestions. I am in a couple group messages with friends, and have no issues besides one specific person's text messages always show up as "Message not Downloaded" in their individual conversation with me. If I try to click to re-download, nothing happens. No one else in our group chats has the issue, and my friend said no one else has told them they have had this issue. On the other hand, I do not have issues receiving anyone else's MMS messages. One weird thing is that if this person sends a picture MMS message in the group chat, I will always receive it without issue, and our individual SMS to each other never have issues.

So this is where this issue gets even weirder; I was using an LG G3 when these group chats first started, and I noticed the issue happening the first time he sent an MMS group message. I was on Lollipop 5.0.1, and even after getting the Marshmallow 6.0 update, the issue persisted. Well, that phone died on me so last month I bought the new ZTE Axon 7 running 6.0.1 (wonderful phone BTW, I would definitely recommend it), and I am having the same exact issue on this phone!

We are both on AT&T, but he is using a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active, and I believe he uses the stock Samsung messaging app. I use Google Messenger, but on both phones I have tried to open the MMS messages in their stock apps and have the same results.

I did not try to backup and restore messages when I got the new phone either, so it can't be a local cache issue. Also, I checked my APN settings and they appear to be correct, I never messed with them anyway. I have also gone through his phone and checked my contact and his messaging app and did not see any settings that would cause this.

This one really has me perplexed, and everyone I talk to about it agrees. I appreciate it if anyone can offer any advice or possible solutions to this issue. Thanks!

I am having the same issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy s6 active and I am being told that people are not receiving my group message texts. This is what one individual received in a regular (nongroup) message from me. (See picture)

Attachments

• image000000.png
    image000000.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
There are two people with iPhone (the original sender of the message uses an iphone) and two android phones. The image shown is what the other android user receives from me when I responded to the group message, but he is receiving it as if I text messaged him only.

Attachments

• image000000.png
    image000000.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0
In my situation, three people with iPhones, and three with Androids (one of which is me, and the other is the friend I am having issues receiving group messages from).

It is odd that this is happening to you too Abadorja, and that you have the same phone as my friend. What's weird is all the iPhone users do not have issues, and the other person with an Android does not, but this other person with an Android has Verizon, while me and the person that I am having the issue with are both on AT&T. I believe your phone is AT&T only (correct me if I am wrong), so I am going to assume you are on AT&T. Is the person who is having the issue also on AT&T? Also, are you using the stock Samsung messaging app, and if so, have you tried another app (such as Hangouts or Google messenger) to see if the problem still persists?

Upvote 0
I'm having the exact same issue with my Note 7. Also with AT&T and Marshmallow 6.0.1. The group chat is a mix of iPhone users and android. Any solution?

That is usually the case. I have a daily group text with family members (4 with iphones and 3 with Android. Messages are erratic and sometimes texts are not received. iMessage is the culprit and combined with Group texts being converted to MMS and you've got potential for issues.

Upvote 0
That is usually the case. I have a daily group text with family members (4 with iphones and 3 with Android. Messages are erratic and sometimes texts are not received. iMessage is the culprit and combined with Group texts being converted to MMS and you've got potential for issues.
I just download Google Messenger and the group says they can now see my messages... Could there be a bug with the Samsung Messages app?

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones