• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MOD/GUIDE] How to change your lockscreen background

ShinySide

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2011
Palm Bay, Florida
Yea so just like the title says. This is how you make your lockscreen background an image instead of being transparent.

So first a preview:
Lock screen background - YouTube

Now how to do it.

Simple and easy.

1. Decompile the frameworkres.apk

2. Navigate to the res>layout>keyguard_screen_tab_unlock.xml and with notepad++, and find the line:

Code:
<RelativeLayout android:gravity="center_horizontal" android:id="@id/root" android:background="#70000000" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
and change it to:

Code:
<RelativeLayout android:gravity="center_horizontal" android:id="@id/root" android:background="@drawable/lockscreen_background" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
3. now add a 480x800 png image to the res>drawable-hpdi folder and name it "lockscreen_background"

4. Recompile and flash/push to phone. (dont forget the META folder after recompile ;) )

5. Enjoy. And youre welcome. ;)

Yea so just like the title says. This is how you make your lockscreen background an image instead of being transparent.

So first a preview:

Now how to do it.

Simple and easy.

1. Decompile the frameworkres.apk

2. Navigate to the res>layout>keyguard_screen_tab_unlock.xml and with notepad++, and find the line:

Code:
<RelativeLayout android:gravity="center_horizontal" android:id="@id/root" android:background="#70000000" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
and change it to:

Code:
<RelativeLayout android:gravity="center_horizontal" android:id="@id/root" android:background="@drawable/lockscreen_background" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
3. now add a 480x800 png image to the res>drawable-hpdi folder and name it "lockscreen_background"

4. Recompile and flash/push to phone. (dont forget the META folder after recompile ;) )

5. Enjoy. And youre welcome. ;)
Nicee One!!!!!!!!11 ;)

Upvote 0
Hey Shiny can you help me i cant seem to compile the apk after i edit the xml and add my image. I did everything you said. I edited the xml, replaced the line with the one you provided and inserted a 480x800 png to res>drawable-hpdi and name it lockscreen_background.png and apktool gives me a bunch of error public symbol declared here not defined. I also tried to use apkmultitools and couldn't recompile either. Im using rom Number Two with no themes. But i do use dodol to use a 5 stitch wallpaper don't know if that's creating a problem. Also i used photoshop cs4 to create my background and when im about to save it asks me if i want to interlace the png and i said no. Again dont know if thats the culprit.

Upvote 0
Hey Shiny can you help me i cant seem to compile the apk after i edit the xml and add my image. I did everything you said. I edited the xml, replaced the line with the one you provided and inserted a 480x800 png to res>drawable-hpdi and name it lockscreen_background.png and apktool gives me a bunch of error public symbol declared here not defined. I also tried to use apkmultitools and couldn't recompile either. Im using rom Number Two with no themes. But i do use dodol to use a 5 stitch wallpaper don't know if that's creating a problem. Also i used photoshop cs4 to create my background and when im about to save it asks me if i want to interlace the png and i said no. Again dont know if thats the culprit.

You need to swap out the drawable-hdpi folder of your apk with the drawable-hdpi with the one that's is ld-Lg stock mod. Decompile and make your changes and add your image and then recompile. Then once it's recompiled swap back the drawable hdpi folder and add the Meta folder to the new apk. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones