• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto G Stuck In Infinite Bootloop...

kblanco

Feb 2, 2015
I'm really hoping that someone can help me as I've think I've bricked my phone and really would rather not have to buy a new one.

Okay, I'm running a Moto G - first generation purchased in late 2014 with Kit Kat 4.4.4. I haven't made any modifications to it other than I run it with Nova Launcher and an assortment of apps downloaded from the Google Play Store. It's nothing fancy and isn't rooted.

I had selected to play a game which it was opening, everything seemed normal. Then it started to get into the Google game play area where you can see stats from others who have played the game, Pinball Arcade. I don't use the stats thing but I got tired of it pestering me so I just let it log in and then ignore it. Well it got stuck doing the circle thing and after giving it a while I held the Power button until I thought it would force a shut down. Now it's stuck in this infinite boot loop. It'll boot up, then stick and shut down doing it over and over. I've tried fighting with it thinking that I'd do a Factory Reset, but I press both the Power and Volume Down keys to get to that function and when I select Factory Reset by pressing the Volume Up button it just starts the loop again.

I've looked up the boot loop problem on the net and the net has all sorts of websites detailing this and that but nothing seems to work. I press some keys like the sites tell me to and it just starts looping again. Once it powers up I can't do anything like enter my PIN or get to the settings screen to do a factory reset that way before it sticks and begins looping again. I've since removed the SD card as I imagine all this looping isn't any good and am about ready to just chuck it and buy a new phone except I like my Moto G and would rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

Incidentally if I have to purchase a new phone I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Prime which Cricket has on sale. Thoughts??? I could really use some help!

For anyone was intending to respond, I'm pleased to say that I've beaten this problem. Had a very nice chat with a tech at Moto via my laptop. She walked me through an alternate method of forcing a Factory Reset and it did the trick, it stopped the loop and rebuilt the phone using core files. I had tried and tried a Factory Reset on my own, but when in the menu I would press Volume Up to select it would just start the loop again. The tech instructed me about how to do it using an alternate method which it accepted and my device is stable and usable again.

Let's just say that I NEVER want to go through that again. I came so close to just chucking it and buying a new phone...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones