• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving from the V20

Napalm

Android Expert
Jul 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
So I sadly broke my V20 the other day - and while shopping for a new device since screen replacement was spendy vs a used V20. I started looking at V30 and other devices.

I'm on verizon. Well while I'm a bit tired of the "unique phone on VZ becasue CDMA" they have been very very good to me. And did so again yesterday. I didn't want to pay for a 900 dollar device - seems absurd and since I didn't have much other luck and there are issues with the UNLOCKED V30 on Verizion - I was starting to lean towards the MotoZ3 that they had a sale on. I used to be a motorola person - and they came back with headphone jacks and expanded memory so I was partially there.

But I notice they offer to new Verizon customers - 1/2 off the price on the LGV40. So I asked via Chat line -can an existing customer get that too because I've been a good customer for years . . . AND THEY DID IT

So They are selling me the V40 on the 40 dollar per month contract price and in 2 months I'm supposed to get a device credit of 490 so as to knock the payment part down to the 20 per month pricing, or I pay off the rest or whatever I want to do.

SO if you're an existing VZ customer - ask and see what they will do for you.

Reactions: markdoc and joe71
NOw the follow up

For those of you on the V40 now - what issues linger - how do you like it. What did you come from. I think I will partially miss the second screen on my V20. Not sure how I feel about the multi cameras but it does solve a problem.

I assume here the audio quality is top notch - which was the big selling point that got me to the V20.

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
That's how I got mine.

My wife was talking with a CSR at Verizon, about an account issue, and said that we may switch carriers because of their "New customers" policy. The CSR got approval to give the same deal on the V40 that she got on her Pixel2.

I'm coming from my old trusty S5, (with my daughters old Motorola, in the interim).

I've had mine for about a month and I'm still finding out different things that it can do. So far, I'm very happy with it.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Few things - it's the same overall size as the V20 I hand - the case would even work if I wanted it to with another hole on the side. I miss the back button/fingerprint. It's not not pressing that and going to the side to get the thing on. MEH.

Audio I think was stronger on the V20 - as in I think it had a headphone amp that had a bit more power but the quality seems to be about the same. I just have to turn it up a few ticks more. The DTS/X thing is wasted I think - but time might tell. I don't like the extra processing, or I don't think I do. It does kick hard in the car though - putting it on full surround is a odd effect.

Don't care 2 bits about the speaker of the phone - I rarely use them so meh. I know others do though.

surprisingly faster when the specs say it's not that much different. biggest thing - next gen 802.11AC - I'm getting nearly twice the throughput. I like that.

Full USB3.1/C speed I like that too. I don't like the sim tray nonsense. sorry get rid of that crap.

I do dig the cameras though. wish it had 2 flashes though.

Does it have an IR emitter - I might miss that?

Carrier 4G throughput is also faster and I figured that might happen.

Upvote 0
Not to throw in a monkey wrench, but if you can wait a month, LG will be releasing the G8 and the V50 simultaneously with 5G support in both.

I'd have loved to but one my V20 was broken and two I figured the V50 would cost more and not be on promotion. ALso my area won't get 5g for probably a year or more. SO I'll wait that out a tick or 2. Mostly because my LTE coverage is pretty good and once at home I'm on wifi backed by fibre strand. (I was pulling a solid 530 mbps down and 420 mbps up testing it last night)

VZ was having a bigger promotion on the Moto Z3 which I looked at hard as I sort of like the idea of the moto- mods and I used to be a moto person. But I couldn't get over not having a QHD screen for the price and missing out on a few other bits. so V40 it is.

I really like it so far

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I'm liking mine too...
smily smartphone.png

Upvote 0
well - just getting a screen to me was going to be over 100 dollars. Now yes there are 48 dollar screens out there on the internets but for something that looked like the right quality device from a store that had good ratings etc I was at or near 100 dollars.

Then I don't have to tools for the job but that's a relatively easy add - so another 20. Vs nearby shops wanted 160-190 for the replacement.

On swappa to get a VZ model V20 I would pay just over 200 anyway for a used device. So I would have considered that route since I've not had the best luck with mobile repairs. But it's still used so what's the actual condition etc etc. upwards near 240 or so.

At that point I get into used V30 territory so might as well roll that dice. Now I'm 300 or so Or I get a "unlocked global" one and hope it does have the right coverages when I'm out away from the LTE system. Which I do on rare occasion. Granted wouldn't be any different than being on tmobile them.

By the time I do all that - gee what can I get new in a box for. shopping around VZ had promotions. Yes I admit 480 out of pocket is a big jump from the 230 I started at. It is. But it's for a new device - with new warranty for 2 years, thanks LG - and updated bits. But honestly it's not that different over all.

TLDR version - the promotion price and the concern over buying a used v20 got me to talk myself into a new mobile. WHich is odd really because I often find I update device around 2.5 years anyway it seems. Desire or need. I hoped to go 4 with the v20. So hear's hoping

Upvote 0
I understand. The v20 in my opinion is very underrated. Still satisfied. Good luck with the new phone.

Oh I agree. I was very tempted to get the V30 - but concerns over coverage sort of won out there. I loved my V20 more than any other mobile I had than my first moto razrX or whatever it was. Did so much so well - I even had bought a spare battery for it becasue it was 2 years old - and you know it's replaceable. (I know I know you can replace the battery in any phone if you . . . . . . . . . . and the V20 isn't waterproof . . . . . .).

UHM, stop trying to swim with your mobile. meh. I was so pissed I wasn't sure what to say for a whole 3 minutes.

Upvote 0
But do you blame LG or do you blame the carrier. As most unlocked open LG devices seem to have little extra on them.

To that end I have to say for a carrier sourced mobile my LGv40 had the least amount of crap on it. I had I think 4 things to uninstall - and it let me uninstall them completely. Now the VZ stuffs - I find a few of them usefull. messages+ is not one of those.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones