• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving to a 55+ Community...

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
Too old to live, too young to die...

I freaked out as I tuned sixty early this year, never envisioned making it this far. Drove all over, looking for a better place to move. Gave up. Put earnest money down someplace else. Gave up and tossed the money. Looked around my own town for a few months, especially the 55+ haunts.

After seeing a whole lot of them, I found one house that separated itself from the rest. Cheap, as in under a hundred. Peaceful, its deck looks out over a creek bed. Efficient, actually way too small at 560 sqft – more like buying a one bedroom apartment.

But as I wait for buyer's remorse to take hold, I still feel pretty good about this one – might be a good place to ride the last lap. Or two or three or...

l142a6145-m5o.jpg

Lmfao. Too funny.. But seriously, BAD idea that place. $750,000 and you only get a "lot" consisting of 80'×80' and never own it or pass it in a will. Your back yard is part of a golf course and windows get knocked out from bad swings (your problem to replace).. I've wired hundreds of homes out there and would never advise living there. Spans 3 counties and almost half the place gets leveled in a hurricane.. My wires stay put but walls don't hold up much. No such thing as wooden studs for real stability. If you can own a place without much repair, then you're golden. Keep it. Now your buyers remorse has a reason to chill. :-D

Upvote 0
You're painfully correct about renting storage. And the annoying part is that most of it is ancient family heirloom crap. But I am the end of the loom– no one to pass it down to. I guess I should just stop postponing the inevitable and sell it before I move.

As for a shed, there already is one – a little one, of course – but it might hold everything I don't jettison.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
make the shed bigger...

No room there, believe it or not. ;) Actually, I was pondering an extra one at the far end of the deck which runs the length of the house.

you don't have any family? niece, nephew, cousins?

I'm in the process of offering to drag all this crap to my sister, two thousand miles away, but she's about to say hell no. I do have some cousins somewhere, they would be next.

Upvote 0
No room there, believe it or not. ;) Actually, I was pondering an extra one at the far end of the deck which runs the length of the house.

I'm in the process of offering to drag all this crap to my sister, two thousand miles away, but she's about to say hell no. I do have some cousins somewhere, they would be next.

Well,if you can't build out................. :D

shovel-235x300.jpg

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones