• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving to Ting, Any tips tricks or suggestions

just found out about this app myself, i was gunna do the google voice +grooveip voip stuff, turns out vonage lets you use voip calls very easily, free, and they see/use your number. so mms doesnt have to go to your ting number (or not using mms at all).

I'm assuming you mean this app I think with that one you are only on vonage's network.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
grab teh app, load it up and it will tell you how much it will cost to call.

Photos - Google+ | Awesome Screenshot

really and truly tahts about all i can do, ive been using it for teh past few days since i found out about it. figured id let some people know, i know with google voice/groove ip you have to give up MMS (or rather make it a big hassle) because you need to use your GV number instead of ting.

with this i can do voip calls with my number for free. people can text me and send MMS at my actual phone number. as for incoming calls i dont believe it works, but i havent honestly tried, if it doesnt, i plan on remedying that by just not answering the people i know who will talk forever and immediately calling them back :p.

Upvote 0
On the subject of "free nights & weekends" this was brought up in the latest Ting hangout.
Basically those companies that offer you free nights and weekends are padding your bill elsewhere to cover that. Ting wants to keep things clean clear and simple, and I agree with that philosophy.

Google voice & grooveip work perfectly fine for free calls over wifi. I installed that pairing shortly after getting my phone and have used it regularly to make "long" calls when at home in order to keep my bill in a lower bucket, it hasn't cost me a penny.

I do run both numbers though (my ting number & my google voice number) having not ported a number in either direction.
I do a lot of texting via the google voice app on wifi and when it comes to MMS people know to send them to my other number so I haven't really had any issue there.

Upvote 0
On the subject of "free nights & weekends" this was brought up in the latest Ting hangout.
Basically those companies that offer you free nights and weekends are padding your bill elsewhere to cover that. Ting wants to keep things clean clear and simple, and I agree with that philosophy.

Google voice & grooveip work perfectly fine for free calls over wifi. I installed that pairing shortly after getting my phone and have used it regularly to make "long" calls when at home in order to keep my bill in a lower bucket, it hasn't cost me a penny.

I do run both numbers though (my ting number & my google voice number) having not ported a number in either direction.
I do a lot of texting via the google voice app on wifi and when it comes to MMS people know to send them to my other number so I haven't really had any issue there.

see for me my friends are idiots and wouldnt be able to figure it out, ive been trying to get them to send pictures etc via hangouts for months now. so for me vonage with my real number and mms to my number works great :)

Upvote 0
<Vonage> with this i can do voip calls with my number for free. people can text me and send MMS at my actual phone number. as for incoming calls i dont believe it works, but i havent honestly tried, if it doesnt, i plan on remedying that by just not answering the people i know who will talk forever and immediately calling them back :p.

I looked into the Vonage Mobile app and they no longer offer free calling to landline/cell phones that don't have the Vonage app. They now charge you if the person you call doesn't have Vonage also. Very unfortunate, that would have been a good app to have.

Effective September 24th we will be ending our Free Calling Promotion, free calls to the U.S. will require that the people you call are Vonage Mobile users. You can continue calling friends and family who don

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones