• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My 4g galaxy is only using 3g????

logan1080

Lurker
Jun 4, 2011
Just got a Galaxy S 4g yesterday. My cell phone carrier says 4g is available in my area but when I turn the phone on it briefly says 3g along the top of the screen as its finding service etc. A few things in the menu I have seen say 3g. How do I get my 4g phone that has a 4g network to use 4g????

If you have wifi on - it usually won't show the network symbols. Mine says 4G but only 2 bars of service. It doesn't show 3G or Edge. I should think that it would show at least Edge in that case. You might be on the fringe of an area. What does the phone show in various places? I've had 3G show up when on wifi (on 2 different phones) Since wifi and 3g are different types of service, I suppose the phone was using either speed or something else that triggered it to show 3G. Both of the phones were unlocked and European. They didn't have TMO bands for 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones