• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My neighbor's router is killing me!

Juan Wei

Lurker
Nov 6, 2017
Whenever I try to stream anything on a TV that is closer to my neighbor's router than to mine, I get lots of buffering and even get disconnected.

I've spoken to them a number of times and they apologize and assure me that they will tell their grandson to fix it the next time he visits. And then they forget.

I'd like something that will turn the tables on them, just as a wake up call. Is there anything I could run on one of my Android devices (or even on the Windows laptop I keep in that room) that would "overwhelm" their router?

Thanks.

Sounds like WiFi channel clash. Some routers will default to channel 6 unless otherwise set. Try setting your router or getting your neighbour to use a different channel.

Try WiFi Analyzer, that should tell you if you and your neighbour are on or near the same WiFi channel. There is some overlap in WiFi channels as well, 1 to 11. If you got 5GHz WiFi available in your router, try that instead, as 2.4GHz can be very crowded all depending how many other WiFi networks are in your area.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

AFAIK there's no way to jam or "overwhelm" another WiFi with just an app. IMO it's better to solve the problem by more usual and amicable methods anyway. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like WiFi channel clash. Some routers will default to channel 6 unless otherwise set. Try setting your router or getting your neighbour to use a different channel.

Try WiFi Analyzer, that should tell you if you and your neighbour are on or near the same WiFi channel. There is some overlap in WiFi channels as well, 1 to 11. If you got 5GHz WiFi available in your router, try that instead, as 2.4GHz can be very crowded all depending how many other WiFi networks are in your area.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

AFAIK there's no way to jam or "overwhelm" WiFi with just an app. IMO it's better to solve the problem by more usual and amicable methods anyway. :thumbsupdroid:
Actually, I have lots of neighbors whose WAPs (is that the right word?) show up. See uploaded file. This was taken while sitting next to the router, not the place where I'm having the trouble. 5G is too weak.
Screenshot.jpg

Upvote 0
Your WiFi is the turquoise "ten1734" on channel 5, and your neighbour's is one of the others around 5 or 6? Suggest you try switching the channel in your router to 2, 3, 8 or 9. as those appear to be the clearest, but there's still overlap with other networks of course, as WiFi can be quite wide.

FYI the term for things like the "ten1734", "xfinitywifi", etc. is actually the SSID, which is the names of the WiFi networks.

Upvote 0
Your WiFi is the turquoise "ten1734" on channel 5, and your neighbour's is one of the others around 5 or 6? Suggest you try switching the channel in your router to 2, 3, 8 or 9. as those appear to be the clearest, but there's still overlap with other networks of course, as WiFi can be quite wide.

FYI the term for things like the "ten1734", "xfinitywifi", etc. is actually the SSID, which is the names of the WiFi networks.
I'll try 8 or 9.
I know what an SSID is.
Thanks.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
If you're using a 2.4GHz WiFi network the only real channels you should focus on are 1, 6, and 11. All the other channels are just overlapping frequencies that have little or no real benefit in actually using. Also now that most routers have auto-detecting channel functionality, when you manually set a specific channel at any point your home WiFi may or may not even be relevant depending on what channels your neighbors' routers are using. If you want to get a get a good grip on consumer WiFi basics, read through this article. It's a little dated but the fundamentals are still the same:
https://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8728
Your screen cap for the WiFi Analyzer app is an indicator that channels aren't your problem, but as you did mention that it was from when you were right next to your router it's not as relevant. A better screen cap would be one taken when you're right next to your TV. Keep in mind the further the distance from your router, the weaker the signal. Your router is just a simple, low-power radio transmitter, visually it's like a single light bulb in a dark room.
Another important aspect is what kind of broadband connection do you have in your household?
On a phone use a browser and go to:
https://speedof.me
and do a speed test both right next to your router and next to your TV. What kind of numbers are you seeing? (Download speed numbers will be more relevant to things like streaming content and that buffering issue, upload speed and latency more relevant to interactive tasks like browsing.)
Also, what kind of router do you have? An ISP supplied modem/router unit or do you have your own router? What kind of broadband service do you have? Cable or DSL?

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
If you're using a 2.4GHz WiFi network the only real channels you should focus on are 1, 6, and 11. All the other channels are just overlapping frequencies that have little or no real benefit in actually using. Also now that most routers have auto-detecting channel functionality, when you manually set a specific channel at any point your home WiFi may or may not even be relevant depending on what channels your neighbors' routers are using. If you want to get a get a good grip on consumer WiFi basics, read through this article. It's a little dated but the fundamentals are still the same:
https://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8728
Your screen cap for the WiFi Analyzer app is an indicator that channels aren't your problem, but as you did mention that it was from when you were right next to your router it's not as relevant. A better screen cap would be one taken when you're right next to your TV. Keep in mind the further the distance from your router, the weaker the signal. Your router is just a simple, low-power radio transmitter, visually it's like a single light bulb in a dark room.
Another important aspect is what kind of broadband connection do you have in your household?
On a phone use a browser and go to:
https://speedof.me
and do a speed test both right next to your router and next to your TV. What kind of numbers are you seeing? (Download speed numbers will be more relevant to things like streaming content and that buffering issue, upload speed and latency more relevant to interactive tasks like browsing.)
Also, what kind of router do you have? An ISP supplied modem/router unit or do you have your own router? What kind of broadband service do you have? Cable or DSL?
OK. All channels are set to "auto".
Attached files are screenshots taken next to the TV. Looks like they are no using their WAP. Roku streaming runs w/o buffering while my smart Sony TV buffers a little.
I have cable broadband. speedof.me next to the router yields 92.96 down and 590.56 (!!) up. speedtest.net says 119.10 down and 6.36 up. My router is a D-Link "spaceship" router.
Screenshot_20171107-131918.jpg
Screenshot_20171107-131933.jpg
Screenshot_20171107-131950.jpg

Upvote 0
Assuming your WiFi network is the ten1734 network, at -60 dBm that is a little on the low side even if there isn't any interfering networks with similar strength near enough to matter. Regarding your bandwidth speed test numbers, it would be more relevant to do a check standing next to your TV, not necessarily next to your router. Again, distance has a direct consequence with WiFi coverage range.
If possible try to relocate your router closer to your TV, that should help to make the dBm numbers increase, if you can get it to maybe -50 or even -40. If physically moving your router isn't feasible, try just moving it to a more optimal spot. If it's sitting on the floor under a desk next to a metal file cabinet for instance, that can significantly reduce the emitting signal strength. Try moving it to a higher location, like on top of the cabinet. Other things like metal ducting can also cause interference. If your Netgear router has an external antenna,or antennas, try re-aiming it lower or higher and do a test to see if that has any effect on improving your coverage range. Also if your router is in a separate room than your TV note that things like stucco wall coverings can reduce WiFi coverage so moving the router closer to an adjoining door/hallway might help.

Reactions: Jhayzone
Upvote 0
Looking at your original posting, does your TV have an Ethernet port to supplement its WiFi connectivity? If feasible switching to a physical Ethernet cable will alleviate the common shortcomings of WiFi networking (and with several hundred feet of little to no signal degradation).
Also, do you watch most content in higher resolutions? Streaming 4K videos require a lot of bandwidth and if you live in a household with multiple users all watching their own high-res content that can tax your broadband connection significantly, especially if your router is a dated model.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones