• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My new archos 101 :-)

jhnelo

Oct 24, 2010
LIVERPOOL!!!
Hi guy
First of all hope you all enjoyed Christmas as much as I did an are looking forward to new year, now second I got an archos 101 for xmas and as I got to grips with it I realised it didn't have Android market. Now can I download android market and the apps I have purchased on my xperia x10 can I download them to my archos too? An sometimes it seems very laggy an I havnt been able to download anything as the stock app market force closes as well as every other pre loaded app. Help with this please?

A word of advice. Ditch the stock launcher and download "go launcher ex." It will help with some of the lag. Also download the task manger widget within the go launcher. It will help because the archos has very little ram and a task manager is a must. Also if you download too many apps them the archos becomes very sluggish.

Upvote 0
I know exactly how you feel, got mine for xmas and got incredibly frustrated with AppsLib, it's extremely slow and prone to crashing. Once you've got arctools and the android market on it however you can just ignore it.

Things I've done to speed it up:

Switched from the stock launcher to LauncherPro (others work just as well but Zeam apparently is compatible :s ).
Deleted all items on the stock launcher desktop (new launcher runs in front of it so it has to load up any items on the stock one as well).
Go to Settings/About Device/ Power Management/Power Management Mode - and switch it to Overdrive (consumes a little more battery but improves performace, haven't noticed battery drain that much)
Keep any apps you want to load quicker on the system storage and not in internal storage

I better explain this one as it confused me. When you install an app it goes to system storage, but system sotrage is quite small (2gb or less I think). If you go into application management you can transfer each app (some don't allow it) to internal storage (the rest of your built in memory), however if you do this they take longer to load up when you start the device.

Despite their titles I haven't actually found an app to transfer apps to an SD card yet, they just transfer them to internal storage (sometimes called the internal SD card), rather than any external SD card you have. (I purchased myself a 32gb one to store movies on! ).

Upvote 0
I know exactly how you feel, got mine for xmas and got incredibly frustrated with AppsLib, it's extremely slow and prone to crashing. Once you've got arctools and the android market on it however you can just ignore it.

Things I've done to speed it up:

Switched from the stock launcher to LauncherPro (others work just as well but Zeam apparently is compatible :s ).
Deleted all items on the stock launcher desktop (new launcher runs in front of it so it has to load up any items on the stock one as well).
Go to Settings/About Device/ Power Management/Power Management Mode - and switch it to Overdrive (consumes a little more battery but improves performace, haven't noticed battery drain that much)
Keep any apps you want to load quicker on the system storage and not in internal storage

I better explain this one as it confused me. When you install an app it goes to system storage, but system sotrage is quite small (2gb or less I think). If you go into application management you can transfer each app (some don't allow it) to internal storage (the rest of your built in memory), however if you do this they take longer to load up when you start the device.

Despite their titles I haven't actually found an app to transfer apps to an SD card yet, they just transfer them to internal storage (sometimes called the internal SD card), rather than any external SD card you have. (I purchased myself a 32gb one to store movies on! ).
Wow you seem to know quite a bit. I have just purchased the Archos 101 internet tablet. Do you know where I can purchase movies to keep ? Do I need to get a differnt programme to watch them , many thanks

Upvote 0
Wow you seem to know quite a bit. I have just purchased the Archos 101 internet tablet. Do you know where I can purchase movies to keep ? Do I need to get a differnt programme to watch them , many thanks

Hmm, not sure about where to purchase the movies from. What I tend to do is buy movies on DVD and rip them onto my computer, I know your strictly not meant to rip them onto your computer but I've paid for them and simply want to watch them on a different device.

Never had a problem watching movies using the video player that comes with the Archos, all my files are saved as AVI files and play fine.

P.S Interesting point, if you store your movies on your external SD card it doesn't save the point at which you were upto in the movie like it does usually.

EDIT: http://www.magicdvdripper.com/ is the program I use to rip DVD's if your interested. There is a freee trial for about 6 uses - handy hint, thats 6 times the program loads, not 6 rips, keep your computer running while you rip them all and your fine :) obviously over time you might have to look elsewhere though.

Upvote 0
It might. There are several ROM tools available on the market to use. I'm not gonna do it on mine for now as I usually don't mess about with hardware/software for the first year after I get it, you know, just incase I need to get it repaired.

Doesn't really apply as much for the archos, more for phones, but still :)

Please let me know how it goes if you do though.

Upvote 0
My Archos 101 8 is always telling me I do not have enough space. Therefore, I cannot download anything. I am constantly having to delete games. I have a 16gb sd card installed. However nothing goes to the card. Memory usage shows that I have over 6gb left on the tablet itself and over 14gb on the card. How do I get everything to go to the card so I can use this tablet and enjoy it? Ready to trash this thing. What good is it? please email responses to puhnken@bellsouth.net. I am not computer savvy, so you really have to explain things to me, and I have had no responses back from Archos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TY.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones