• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My take on the warp.

Snake X

Android Expert
Aug 20, 2011
Ok, after having my warp since december 24th and using it ever sense, I can come up with a conclusion.

Would I buy the warp if I had the option to choose all over again?

I'd say No. Definitely not.

Reason 1: The screen.

Don't get me wrong, the screen on this for the size of 4.3" makes it worth it all. That's a key component in the drive of the warp's success. No other prepaid has that. Everything else about the screen on this thing is just plain wrong. Granted I do have the older model and I know ZTE did something with the screen but I'm reviewing based on what I have. The screen on this is big, but has issues with colors. When I'm playing something like temple run, I can't seem to play it with anything other than the brightest setting possible. Even then the colors look wishy-washy. The color reproduction on this phone is not of quality and I can tell. However, on a vibrant game such as fruit ninja, the screen plays out quite fine. It's nothing like the asus transformer prime though. It also doesn't have the brightness to make it brilliant appearing. Here's something else I want to touch on. I have also recently noticed a small build-up of dust on the top left corner. How the crap it got there, I'll never know. The build of the screen itself is good, I can tell that much. From what I can tell, not a single scratch, no case.

Reason 2: The support

ZTE is a company that produces phones and cuts corners. Especially on code it seems like. I know Hroark is working miracles for this poor phone and so is quietstorm, but even that doesn't glisten the inexcusable lack of support from ZTE about their regards to the unbootable kernel. This is definitely a factor that leaves me to believe zte is a company that I wouldn't buy from.

Reason 3: The battery

Battery life. The non-existent factor in a phone that drives us all insane. I When I turned on 3g, I saw my battery meter decrease 1% (I have custom icons and battery indicator) in a matter of 10 seconds or so. Did that continuously happen? No, but that shows how bad it can get to be. Especially that initial 10% drop.

Reason 5: The hardware

The hardware on this thing is by today's standards outdated. I used to believe anything 1 GHz + is good but now anything below 1.2 single core is bad. Especially with only 512 MB ram. There's a game that I would love to play on this phone called 'soulcraft' but it doesn't play even though it is "compatible" due to not enough ram. That is another thing that upsets me. I also seem to lag in the menu's of temple run and I lag when I turn corners sometimes. I also get force closes a lot. I'm not sure that is the hardware's fault I'm using shinjitsu rom 1.5b with edited graphics libraries (basically new files that aren't stable). Also even the chipset this thing runs (qualcomm MSM8655) is outdated as qualcomm has ramped it up to 1.2 GHz single core. Though, this might be achieved via setCPU, I'm not sure. Other than the ram and the SoC, everything else is fine.

Well that pretty much sums it up for me. And one more thing. I do believe the build quality on this is "cheap", however I have only known cheap all my life coming from a monochrome nokia, so it's perfectly fine for me. One nit-picky thing I have to say is that I don't like the headphone jack being on the bottom. When this thing is in my pocket, I always put it upside down so when I take it out, I can have my finger on the power button and I am gripping it as I would when I use it so when I take it out I don't have to flip it.

Well, that's my take on this phone. Hope this gives you some insight on your decision.

The only real issue I've had with mine was frequent lockups, but this was all but fixed with the purchase of a decent SD card. Went from multiple freezes daily to maybe one a month. Well, the battery sucks too but I can live with that.

But you mention the headphone jack being on the bottom? Mine is top center next to the power button.

They must have made some major revisions between the time yours was manufactured and mine was.

But I agree that this model is very hit-or-miss. I must have gotten one of the not-so-bad ones.

Reactions: esparks004
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones