• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help N5 QI Wireless Charging Problem

lennydude

Android Expert
May 19, 2010
Maine USA
This is a bit strange.

I use a QI wireless charger. It is a bit slower than my plug in version but the convenience more than makes up for this.
It list the output at 1 mah which is fine.
Now for my issue.............the wireless charger gets warm, not hot at all....just warm. With the phone sitting on top of the charger I assume the heat of the charger is being transferred to the phone. I can not imagine just 1 mah output causing heat to form in my battery as this is the same output as the regular charger?
Anyhow.................with the phone reading 100 % fully charged, I take it off the wireless charger and the battery goes to 33% in just 3+ hours !!!
After charging the battery to 100% with my regular charger, the phone reads 70% after 9+ hours !!!!
It is like even though the phone says 100% charged, the wireless charger must not be fully charging the battery or maybe the heat (warmness) of the battery causes it to run down quicker?
Sorry for the lengthy post :(

Does anyone else notice this when they use a QI wireless charger?
BTW...........I use the "VAAS" # Ch001 model charger made in the Peoples Republic of China.

I assume that you meant 1 AH (it would take an incredibly long time at 1 mAH)
Once at 100%, your phone shouldn't discharge any faster/slower just because you charged it using a wireless charger. Check to see what is causing the battery drain, and try to narrow down to the culprit app.

Upvote 0
I assume that you meant 1 AH (it would take an incredibly long time at 1 mAH)
Once at 100%, your phone shouldn't discharge any faster/slower just because you charged it using a wireless charger. Check to see what is causing the battery drain, and try to narrow down to the culprit app.
LOL....10-4 on the mah vs. amp :)

I have always noticed the battery use. The screen (22%) has always been my number 1 user however lately "Android OS" (40%) is the big user.

Any ideas what that may be using as Android OS so much power?

Upvote 0
I have just bought an N5 this week so cannot comment directly but on the N4 it replaced there was a known bug. If charged to 100% using a wireless charger it initiated a wake lock that was supposed to check the charge at intervals to see if it needed to start charging again. Problem was the wakelock never disengaged and caused huge battery drain until the phone was rebooted. see this article.

[Bug Watch] Wireless Charging May Be Responsible For Keeping Your Nexus 4 Awake Indefinitely

N5 was not out at the time so do not know if it is affected and I was hoping the issue was fixed by now but this sounds very similar if not worse.

I recommend installing "better battery stats" and checking the wake locks and processor states. This should help track it down

My workaround was to set up an alert via Tasker that notified my via a sound and a notification to my pebble when charge level reached 98% while wireless charging. I would then take it off the charge pad before it got to 100. Since I only wireless charge at work at my desk this is not too inconvenient.
I have just ordered a wireless charger for my car as well so will be annoyed if it turns out that this bug is not fixed in the N5

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones