• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

n910w8 get! how to root, and roms with s pen support?

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
So, I did manage to pick this phone up... and because my google-fu is legendarily bad, or seems to be filled with links trying to get me to break my phone or do something sketch, I'm asking here.

First objective: Get rooted, custom recovery going, the like.

Phone arrived to me with Android 6.0.1 according to the system properties. Just wondering if that would change anything... Being able to get around Pokemon Go's narcissistic obsessions is the obvious goal.

Second objective: find a custom ROM that supports the stylus pen.

My wife rather liked the functionality of the S pen with my old Note 3, since it gives her a(n additional) way to do art away from home. I've seen a few ROMs for the phone that claim to be on up to Android 8, which is fantastic for me. But for her, she would prefer to be able to still use the stylus with the Note. So, any suggestions on ROMs that retain compatibility with the S Pen would be enormously appreciated.

Third Objective: Help said wife have a migration path

The wife, still clings on to her Lumia 550 Windows Phone, because in her own words, the stock iOS and Android systems don't make sense... and the Windows Phone offers a perk in that she can send and receive texts from her desktop thanks to the kind of syncing that the environment does. I'm certainly not trying to force her to move (bad idea). but I do want to try and find something that would help in the event say, that Lumia finally dies or it's not possible to keep it running for her any longer. Even though it has the ability to replace the battery, trying to find replacement batteries is another challenge for the poor thing. :(

You might want to try this method to root your N910w8:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/help/sm-n910-cf-auto-root-t2897428
but this might not be what you're looking for as there is a clear warning to be aware of:
"CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root."
Along with the custom ROM matter, there's the issue with using some apps on a rooted device, Pokemon Go being one of them. Also Netflix and some banking apps will be a problem. There's a work-around based on Magisk that might help with this:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/11/guide-play-pokemon-go-0-37-rooted-android-magisk/
(keep in mind that all references to Recovery are based on a Moto phone as opposed to the Volume Up, Home, Power buttons method to get into your Samsung so adjust things accordingly)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones