• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Help - 4.0.4 Issue

Rocco3366

Dec 11, 2011
Hi Forum, i got quite i big issue, i got a new phone (SGS2) back from Carphone and updated it to 4.0.4 now it keeps freezing and the only way to sort it out is to take the battery out. Note it was only after 4.0.4 update.
It responds to no buttons.
Thanks in advance, Rocco3366​

Don't shout that one out too loud. I'm sure a few of the regulars to the gs2 forum will have something to say about that:D

It really depends what your after. I love to tinker with my phones so the majority of the apps that stand out to me require root access. If there's any apps that you feel are lacking I'll try and give you an alternative. I will recommended handcent message though instead of the stock messenger app. After opening it up and looking at what settings it has you'll wonder why stock never did that.

Upvote 0
Don't shout that one out too loud. I'm sure a few of the regulars to the gs2 forum will have something to say about that:D

It really depends what your after. I love to tinker with my phones so the majority of the apps that stand out to me require root access. If there's any apps that you feel are lacking I'll try and give you an alternative. I will recommended handcent message though instead of the stock messenger app. After opening it up and looking at what settings it has you'll wonder why stock never did that.
xD I've tried go message i think before that was pretty good, i'll check handcent out, i'm planning to root after my contracts end, as i'm not good mates so to say with vodafone, i'll link you to why i'm not if you're interested in looking, http://androidforums.com/vodafone/598141-vodafone-water-damage-scam.html, I can't think what apps i would like a replacement for xD Also, does rooting void warranty?

Upvote 0
xD I've tried go message i think before that was pretty good, i'll check handcent out, i'm planning to root after my contracts end, as i'm not good mates so to say with vodafone, i'll link you to why i'm not if you're interested in looking, http://androidforums.com/vodafone/598141-vodafone-water-damage-scam.html, I can't think what apps i would like a replacement for xD Also, does rooting void warranty?

That just wrong, sorry you had to go through that.
Rooting will void your warranty. Although the funny thing is a lot of warranty problems can be sorted out by a seasoned rooter. Although there are some that can't.

First impression of this forum, an amazing community. A Great help everyone is, on other forums, i.e hackforums, i just get flamed xD

That's pretty much my opinion and why I stuck around. When I first joined I was a complete Android noob and then I met everyone in this forum who taught me everything I know

Upvote 0
That just wrong, sorry you had to go through that.
Rooting will void your warranty. Although the funny thing is a lot of warranty problems can be sorted out by a seasoned rooter. Although there are some that can't.

That's pretty much my opinion and why I stuck around. When I first joined I was a complete Android noob and then I met everyone in this forum who taught me everything I know
Ah no probs, got a brand new s2 via Carphone cause they installed a messed up software xD

Will probs stick round here then :D

Also been reading about rooting/custom ROMs etc Whats a signed/locked boot loader and whats a kernal and last one whats seasoned booter? Sorry about all the questions, i'm one of them people that like to know a lot about a certain subject xD

Upvote 0
Ah no probs, got a brand new s2 via Carphone cause they installed a messed up software xD

Will probs stick round here then :D

Also been reading about rooting/custom ROMs etc Whats a signed/locked boot loader and whats a kernal and last one whats seasoned booter? Sorry about all the questions, i'm one of them people that like to know a lot about a certain subject xD

The bootloader is basically a program which runs the install of firmwares/roms/kernels. So if the bootloader is locked it won't let you. The gs2's bootloader is open though so you don't need to worry about that.

The kernel is what controls everything your phone does. Sort of like the conductor of an orchestre. It tells things what to do when.

I think you mean seasoned rooter. Well that's me. Someone who loves rooting their phones and flashing custom roms.

Seriously don't apologies for asking, I was the same before. You don't knew if you don't ask:)

Upvote 0
The bootloader is basically a program which runs the install of firmwares/roms/kernels. So if the bootloader is locked it won't let you. The gs2's bootloader is open though so you don't need to worry about that.

The kernel is what controls everything your phone does. Sorry of like the conductor of an orchestre. It tells things what to do when.

I think you mean seasoned rooter. Well that's me. Someone who loves rooting their phones and flashing custom roms.

Seriously don't apologies for asking, I was the same before. You don't knew if you don't ask:)

Haha thanks for the amount of detail xD is there a app where i can view the forum on s2 as it just reloads the page on dolphin and i cant delete history on google chrome :-(

Upvote 0

The kernel is what controls everything your phone does. Sort of like the conductor of an orchestre. It tells things what to do when.

Thought i put rooter stupid me xD

Upvote 0
The battery will take a few charges to reach it's full potential, well that's what I've noticed anyway. It does also depend what you do with it. I've seen people getting a couple of days from one charge but I've not got a hope of doing that as I use my phone as a pocket PC, so if my screens on its usually searching this forum. It might be worth turning your phone off and giving it a full charge. You'll notice if you charge it to full while on and then turn it off and plug it in the battery isn't actually full.

A tip from my old gs2 days was turn the phone off, charge to full, unplug remove battery for a few minutes and then stick your phone back together. That would calibrate your battery to the proper level and you'd see an improvement. Which should work since you have a gs2

heres hoping you didn't notice I thought I was in the gs3 forum. Anyway with a few edits I think it makes sense.:stupid:

Upvote 0
The battery will take a few charges to reach it's full potential, well that's what I've noticed anyway. It does also depend what you do with it. I've seen people getting a couple of days from one charge but I've not got a hope of doing that as I use my phone as a pocket PC, so if my screens on its usually searching this forum. It might be worth turning your phone off and giving it a full charge. You'll notice if you charge it to full while on and then turn it off and plug it in the battery isn't actually full.

A tip from my old gs2 days was turn the phone off, charge to full, unplug remove battery for a few minutes and then stick your phone back together. That would calibrate your battery to the proper level and you'd see an improvement after. I'm assuming it's going to be the same on the gs3 but I haven't seen anything definitive. Anyway it can't hurt.
Cheers will try that, how's s-voice I mean I was impressed with vlingo when I first used it xD is that eye tracker accurate?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones