• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

network tethering detection

benjys5

Lurker
Aug 28, 2014
It seems I have cracked it. I am on 3UK and have unlimited data and 4Gb tether allowance. Having just moved to contract and buying my s5 outright I noticed something. I switched on tethering and connected my s4. I then looked at my allowance and noticed it had used 2mb of tether allowance. When I had the Sim in s4 running an omega romantic it didn't use any tether data. I used it for Playstation online and no data at all registered as used. So I set to work rooting my s5 and now installed a custom romade and let my gf install an app on her iPhone using my connection. This was 50 mb and used NO tether data. It seems there must be some script or background process on the network branded bloat ware that tells them you are tethering.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones