• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"New" radio from OTA - Is it necessary?

Demache

Android Expert
Apr 18, 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
I think I am running the older radio/baseband software for my phone. I think the current one is 2.42 or something like that?

Anyhow, would I see an benefits to upgrading to the one from the July OTA? I don't have many signal issues, other than the 3G connection not kicking in sometimes if I disable wifi. And I can still achieve 4 bars in some areas.

snap20101003_114335.png

*info, because I can*

Just asking, because I don't want a case of "if it wasn't broken, you shouldn't have fixed it".

I think that conventional wisdom is that if your radio is not causing your problems (i.e., silent audio bug, problems with WiFi, signal dropouts where you should have string signal, etc.), you may as well stay with the radio that you have. I had no problems with the radio version that you have, and I upgraded, and I have seen nothing different in performance, etc.

Reactions: Demache
Upvote 0
ive heard that going back to an old radio helps prevent the quick drop-then-reconnect issue with the 2.2 roms. i would flash to an older radio but i hear that you gotta check the md5 sums and i have no idea how to do that or what that even is.

Rick,

There's several ways to check the MD5 sum of a file you've transferred to your phone. You can easily do it with Astro File Manager (long-press filename and select 'Detail', wait for few seconds for the MD5 check sum to appear (it takes a little while for very large files)).

Here's a couple of threads discussing MD5 checksum (and other stuff too; oh, and there's an app I wrote referenced in each thread that will do it also):

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/138831-verify-your-files-md5-checksums.html

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/168942-phone-rom-checksum-verifier.html

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Begging] Devs - please publish your MD5's

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

Upvote 0
ive heard that going back to an old radio helps prevent the quick drop-then-reconnect issue with the 2.2 roms. i would flash to an older radio but i hear that you gotta check the md5 sums and i have no idea how to do that or what that even is.

That must explain why I never had that issue with KaosFroyo, despite hearing so much about it.

I think for now I'll just keep this version. Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0
That must explain why I never had that issue with KaosFroyo, despite hearing so much about it.

I think for now I'll just keep this version. Thanks everyone.

Interesting. 2.40.00.01.22 == Root-ROM.

The association of the "drop/reconnect" issue with CM5/6 was inferred because it has never been reported to occur in HTC-derived 2.1 ROMs, even when folks had newer radio firmware on their Eris (as a result of Leak-V2, -V3, or the various OTAs), and (iirc) it was observed to appear in CM5/6 ROMs with multiple radio firmware versions.

But I will agree with others that if you are not experiencing troubles - don't fix what isn't broken. Probably the "bug fixes" that are in the various radio firmware releases are things that only the carrier can detect - extremely subtle behavior tweaks.

[ Edit ] Whoops, I see your display says "xtrROM 4.2.1" - should I presume you are not using KF as your daily ROM?

I might even roll my phone back to an older radio. I get the drop/reconnect on just about every call which is "longish" (say, more than 20 minutes).

eu1

Upvote 0
Interesting. 2.40.00.01.22 == Root-ROM.

The association of the "drop/reconnect" issue with CM5/6 was inferred because it has never been reported to occur in HTC-derived 2.1 ROMs, even when folks had newer radio firmware on their Eris (as a result of Leak-V2, -V3, or the various OTAs), and (iirc) it was observed to appear in CM5/6 ROMs with multiple radio firmware versions.

But I will agree with others that if you are not experiencing troubles - don't fix what isn't broken. Probably the "bug fixes" that are in the various radio firmware releases are things that only the carrier can detect - extremely subtle behavior tweaks.

[ Edit ] Whoops, I see your display says "xtrROM 4.2.1" - should I presume you are not using KF as your daily ROM?

I might even roll my phone back to an older radio. I get the drop/reconnect on just about every call which is "longish" (say, more than 20 minutes).

eu1

EU1, let me know if you do and tell me if it fixes it, i might do the same. that is the most annoying thing about these new roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones