• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Straight Talk

Hi guys,

I am new to Straight Talk, as in today. I have an GSM Galaxy Nexus. My number was ported from Verizon and all is good, except for data. Guess I need to give them a call?

What is happening (that I have noticed so far is).

1. When I try to go to any website via the stock browser, I keep getting a Authentication via the proxy server was unsucessful message and the website does not display. Sometimes if I refresh it, it will.

2. Google Play gets a Network Error message. Takes a few tries to get it to work.

3. Using the Speedtest.net app, my download speeds wont work, or if they do, I am getting a whopping 6kps. Upload is over a meg 1344 or so. That should be right I suppose.

I used the APN settings from the Straight Talk Website, but still no go. The phone does report "H" up top so I should be getting better speeds than this correct? Any suggestions or should I just phone Straight Talk tech support?

My phone is on stock Jelly Bean and rooted. Have not even flashed a rom yet.

Oh also, how do I setup voice mail with them?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Trooper,

Here are screen shots of my GSM nexus APN settings for Straight Talk.

http://i50.tinypic.com/20adkbb.png

http://i45.tinypic.com/fjjmhl.png

http://i50.tinypic.com/29wo5er.png

I also want to welcome you to the Straight Talk family. Keep us posted on your experiences. Just out of curiosity, what was your deciding factor to dump verizon and then choosing Straight Talk

-Sev

Hi and thanks.

I cant see any of your pics at the moment. Have a feeling they are blocked at work. I read that your sim is setup for T-Mobile. Mine is setup for ATT so dont know if your sim settings would work for me.

I decided to dump Verizon due to a recent move, and their service was lacking. They did nothing for me except tell me to buy a network extender which I refused to do. Aside from the fact that they are the most expensive carrier and I am wanting to lower bills, it was a no brainer.

I hope the data issues I am having with ST are not indicators of their level or service or providing data. I called them yesterday and they had me change maybe one setting from the website in the APN settings. It helped for a bit but today even though I have the "H" showing up top with four full bars of service, I have no data. I am unable to browse the web or get onto the Play Store. I keep getting the Authentication via the proxy server was unsuccessful message.

Not sure if its their service or my new phone. Im tempted to try T-Mobile but looking at their coverage they are good at my job but not as good at home. Where ATT had better coverage at home and perhaps a bit weaker at work. So basically the opposite.

Hope this can get sorted out but if not, I may go to ATT or T-Mobile directly for a sim. Hard to know what to do at this point.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Just a little update on the at&t version. We just got back from a 17 day road trip where we drove from Indiana to California. Most of the time I got good HSPA+ speeds but there were a lot of times when the connection was so slow or spotty that I ended up using my VM phone (it's my last month on it) as a hotspot, as the sprint speeds were a lot better. So at home, at&t is best but if we go on a long road trip again, I'll probably reactivate my VM phone and use it as a backup. No dropped calls but I didn't use it as a phone very much. At my parents' house in California, the at&t data signal was so bad that I almost always used sprint.

Upvote 0
Newb here. So, just to make it clear to my child-like mind, ST filters your traffic through their proxies but it is easy to edit out their proxy settings and gain full access to the web you are paying for? As long as you don't stream netxlix 24/7 for the entire month anyway. And it's easy to edit these proxy settings? Is there a guide to this anywhere? I haven't gotten an ST phone yet so this might be obvious to someone else who has one but not to myself. Yet.

Upvote 0
Yes and no. On the st byod sim card program you can leave out the data proxy when you are configuring it, or edit it later. I don't know if the st branded phones are the same.

The amount of data you can use before you get throttle depends on many factors, none of which are clearly defined. Some people get away with using 5 gigs a month with no problems, others get throttled shortly after 1 gig. Sometimes if you use more than 100 megs in a day you get smacked even if your total monthly is low.

Upvote 0
Yes and no. On the st byod sim card program you can leave out the data proxy when you are configuring it, or edit it later. I don't know if the st branded phones are the same.

The amount of data you can use before you get throttle depends on many factors, none of which are clearly defined. Some people get away with using 5 gigs a month with no problems, others get throttled shortly after 1 gig. Sometimes if you use more than 100 megs in a day you get smacked even if your total monthly is low.

If you're looking to go prepaid and already have a Verizon 3G phone and Verizon is the only carrier with good coverage in your area, consider switching to Page Plus - it's $55 per month for unlimited voice & SMS + a clearly stated 2GB of included data. To do this the phone cannot be currently active unless you're porting your number.

Upvote 0
If you're looking to go prepaid and already have a Verizon 3G phone and Verizon is the only carrier with good coverage in your area, consider switching to Page Plus - it's $55 per month for unlimited voice & SMS + a clearly stated 2GB of included data. To do this the phone cannot be currently active unless you're porting your number.
Interesting. I don't have a phone yet though and I don't see where they sell sims?
But it looks like there is a Page Plus section of the forum. I'll check it out.
Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0
Page Plus does not use sim cards. You just need to have a verizon 3g phone.

Porting

A little down the page, is the programming instructions when your number is ported in.

Also as Uncle Mike said, you have a 2GB cap. If you exceed this, it will be billed at $0.10 per MB (from your account balance)....which is really expensive ($102 per GB).

Here is the %% details:

Plan Details

Service Charge Rate
Monthly Fee $55/month

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0
So I cannot speak directly about the att network speeds, but I would assume it would be about what I get from tmobile. I get about 5-7 Mbps down and 2-3 up in a good hspa area.

If you have access to the tmobile network, the galaxy nexus is a Pentagon band phone supporting att and tmobile frequencies (as well as many world frequencies).

Hope that helps and someone with the att sim can give more accurate speeds.

-Sev

Upvote 0
Yeah Gale, in my apartment I have the H symbol, but I get maybe those speeds. Once I go down teh street, it jumps to 5-7 Mbps down and 2-3 up.

Either way, at least at home I have my Wifi for serious downloads.

I do live along the I-95 corridor which has really great coverage in general, so that is why I went with the straight talk t-mobile sim.

-Sev

Upvote 0
Sandroid,

The speeds are theoretical maximums. I have a friend who has T-mobile HTC One S and the absolute best he has gotten is 10 Mbps down and 4 up.

Either way, I think it is quite a good deal. He is paying 80 per month (before taxes) and I am paying 50 after taxes. So I guess it depends on what you want.

T-Mobile is said to be offering fully unlimited data starting in september, and some are saying that the price will be the current 2GB value plan ($60 plus taxes). We shall see what the real price is, but either way for truly unlimited data, you could sign a 2 year contract if the price is right.

-Sev

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones