• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newbie with some basic questions....

Hey Guys,
Just got my Nexus S this week, moved over from the last 3/4 years with an Iphone (most recently a 3gs). Im a complete Android amature and am getting a bit confused over certain things so was hoping the experts here could help me out!

1. How do I back up my phone i.e contacts, pictures, apps etc? With the iphone I just connected to itunes and everything was backed up but with the Nexus S I cant see how its done.

2. When I transfer files from my PC to phone via USB how do I then access the files on the phone itself? i.e I have transfered the Android guide that I downloaded to my PC to my phone (its an Adobe file) so I can browse it at work later but I have no idea where to find it on the phone.

3. Should i allow Android to manage running apps or download an app killer and do it myself?

Im sure there are more quieries but I cant remember them now so ill add them here as they come to mind.

Many Thanks,

Graham.

Hi there,

1) Google syncs your contacts automatically provided you have linked the phone to a gmail account. As for media content, photos etc I do it manually but I'm sure someone can suggest an app for same.

2) You will need to download the Adobe PDF viewer to be able to view your document. As for where it shows up...try the gallery. Failing that, download a file manager (Astro) and you will be able to access it that way.

3) The consensus is that Task/App killers do more harm than good, Android is more than capable of managing running applications itself. If you need to force close something, do it manually via the app manager.

Upvote 0
Hi there,
2) You will need to download the Adobe PDF viewer to be able to view your document. As for where it shows up...try the gallery. Failing that, download a file manager (Astro) and you will be able to access it that way.

You don't need to download adobe pdf viewer, you can view just about every format with thinkfree office which comes preinstalled on the device as a default document viewer (and is impossible to uninstall strangely). But you will need astro file manager in order to access the folder and open the document

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones