• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No internet access when using wifi

JLeslie

May 6, 2010
I work for a company that does IT support for small businesses. One client just purchased some new Andoid Casio G'zOne Commando phones and while they work fine on the mobile network, when they connect them to the company wifi, they can't get out to the internet.
I've looked at the DHCP server and it is handing out IP addresses to them and the scope is set to hand out DNS server addresses along with an IP address. Company laptops on wireless don't have a problem with internet access nor do some older Andoid phones.

So I'm trying to figure out why these phones can't get to the internet when on the company wireless network. I'm suspecting there is something in the phones themselves but I'm not familiar with them to know what could be configured in them that would stop internet access via wifi. Any thoughts?

JL

We found a workaround solution. Instead of connecting to the wifi network by selecting the SSID from the list of networks found, we add it manually, i.e. typing in the SSID and passkey, and selecting the type of security. That has worked on every Android phone we've tried. I don't know why it works and the "automated" method doesn't, but I'm not going to try to figure it out, I'm just accepting it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones