• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Northern Lights

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I understand that some of the Northern part of Kansas is being treated to a visual exposure to the Northern Lights. Friends in the KC area shared some pictures they captured Friday night. I've always wanted to see the lights and they media spoke like it was possible that the lights would be visible using a long exposure camera capture in the Southern part of the state tonight. I went out and took a few shots of the sky... no luck. Maybe if I was North of Wichita instead of South I would have a darker sky and a better chance of a picture. I did see some very cool pictures posted on another forum and thought we should have a place to share some pics too. If you are lucky enough to get a few shots, pleas post them here. I really would love to see them. The lights fascinate me!

I'm in upstate NY and had a ton of clouds in my 'hood last night, when I checked I saw nothing but areas just a few miles away had great views. So maddening! I'm going to see if there is anything real early this morning before sunrise. Tomorrow may be semi-promising too.

I've been using My Aurora Forecast app for a long while, it's really good but I live just below 'OK, they're really coming' and squarely in 'you live in a cloud haven area so good luck!' region. Ugh.

A long lot of years ago there were some that I did see, totally awesome experience.

Upvote 0
The city of South Haven, MI had some amazing views
Screenshot_20240512-082447.png

It was visible throughout the UK on Friday night, not so much the next couple of days. But it looked far more spectacular through a camera than by eye, so don't assume all of the pictures posted to the web represent what people actually experienced (it was still cool to see it, but it was best viewed through a phone or camera).

(The forum software is telling me that even a reduced-size image is too large to post, so can't show examples).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones