• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notifications

So how will this work? There is no always-on screen. Will there be a stock pop-up over the lock screen? Is there a functional and programmable LED? I passed on the M8 because the size of the LED was unusable and it shut off after a few minutes. Has that changed for the 10?
My m9 LED (desire 626 as well) works fine for my tastes, and as far as I'm aware, it doesn't shut off. Whenever I have a notification I notice the LED flashing, though to be honest I never pay attention to how long it had been waiting for me.

Upvote 0
So how will this work? There is no always-on screen. Will there be a stock pop-up over the lock screen? Is there a functional and programmable LED. I passed on the M8 because the size of the LED was unusable and it shut off after a few minutes. Has that changed for the 10?

Hey I remember that.
I know everyones wants and requirements are different regarding notifications. Why would an always on screen be needed? The idea of an always on screen makes makes my skin crawl.

I don't want to sound insensitive here but
If you have this on going issue with being notified and you don't want to adapt to the provided LED, have you looked in the market for an application to help you keep notified?

The M8 did have a tiny pin hole LED notification light, so did the M9.
Both devices have been GREAT despite the shortcoming of the LED(I moved past the LED issue because it never really bugged me THAT MUCH to begin with). It is a huge shame to miss out or skip such a great device because of such a small thing. I feel your pain though.
The Dot View Ice Case helped me alot in forgetting the notification light.

The couple of photos I've seen with an LED on look like it's more visible than the M7/M8/M9. Beyond that I don't think anyone knows the level of detail you are asking yet.
The Notification light on the HTC10 looks ALOT brighter than the M8/M9, like maybe 10 times brighter?

Someone over on XDA posted this video of a review with the LED light blinking:
https://www.youtube.com/watchv=exsEpSnVA0A&t=201
Also over there, CptThrowBack unofficially confirms that the HTC10 covertly has an RGB LED installed like a recent Desire and A9.
With Root access and an RGB LED we should be able to adjust the LED more than previous HTC devices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones