• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Odd problem Fixed: Lost MTP connectione when IE updated to Version 11

Hook

Ever since DU... ;-)
Mar 17, 2010
Northern VA, USA
I don't know how universal this is or what exactly happened.

This morning, I discovered I couldn't get my Nxus 5 to show up via the usual USB (MTP) connection. However, it was different that other problems like this in that there was no detection that a connection wasn't made. The Nexus 5 didn't appear in device manager with a yellow triangle, it just didn't show up. Nor did it show up as a device in Windows Explorer (This is Win 7, 64bit).

I. of course, immediately assumed that I had broken something by installing the Cataclysm ROM and Franco kernel. I tied restoring the 50mV I had gone down on the CPU in Franco. That had no effect, so I was all ready to back through to rooted stock OS and kernel using Nandroid backups, when it suddenly occurred to me that one other thing had happened since I had connected my Android to Windows. I had allowed Windows to update IE from 10 to 11. Sheesh. I don't even use IE, so I really didn't care.

So, on a hunch, I used the restore point made when the IE update was done and, sure enough, I have IE 10 again and I can connect my Android as an MTP device that shows up in Windows Explorer. I realize that people might have IE11 and everything is working fine --it could easily have been some very odd interaction on my computer, but this is what worked for me.

Just a heads up in case anyone else has this problem.

I have 2 computer setups. One is used for web development. It has all versions of IE from 5.5 to whatever is the latest one. It also has about 2 dozen other browsers. Any important (that is, one I get paid to write) page has to work reasonably well on all those browsers, even if it falls back to a page of text.

The other setup has Firefox and Chrome. It has no reference to IE, doesn't have IE installed and doesn't get automatic updates. (It has to run Windows because I still deal with people who live in caves and use stone tools.) That's the one I plug my phones into.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones