• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Odd problem of NO ROAMING after MetroPCS changed "something"

So, I have an odd problem that I've been fighting with Metro on for days now and I'm hoping someone here might have some insight...

I am about to take a trip to Vancouver and need my phone to work there for talk and text. Metro has their World Calling plan now to do exactly that. Last Friday, I called to change my plan from the $40 plan to the $50 plan and add World Calling. That went fine -- no problems. Then, while I was talking to the rep, I mentioned that when I am at home, my phone roams on AT&T -- and I have Talk and Text, but no MMS ability. I asked if that was normal and she said she thought that I should have MMS there with that partner and would look into it. She had me pull my SIM card, read the number to her, and put it back in. She did "something" and then said to check it again in an hour or two and see if I can do MMS on AT&T.

Well, from that point on, I now cannot roam ANYWHERE. If I am not on a Metro/T-Mobile tower, then I immediately go to "Emergency Calls Only" and cannot roam. No Talk or Text like before -- just nothing. If I manually scan for networks, it sees AT&T, but will not connect to it (tries to do so, but fails).

I have spent the last four days talking to Metro about this. Every day, they spend 45 minutes trying normal troubleshooting crap where they find nothing wrong. So, they decide to do a "network reset" when they can't think of anything else. They warn me that I'll lose all my voicemails, my voicemail password will reset, and that I'll need to wait 2 hours and then it should work.

I've literally done that FOUR times now. Every time, 2 hours later, I still can't roam.

They have finally opened a ticket for this, but say it'll be 3-5 days before they get back to me. Of course, I leave for that Canada trip in TWO days -- so I'm really going to be in a bind here.

Any thoughts on what I might check or might tell the normal reps to check if I call again? Instead of having to wait 3-5 days for the escalation people to try to figure it out?

Thanks for any suggestions/tips to get this resolved faster than 3-5 days!

- John...

P.S. Phone is a GSM Moto X that I brought myself. Again, it has been working FINE for Talk and Text when roaming on AT&T for months now. Only when I called Metro on Friday and they decided that I should be able to do MMS and changed "something" did it all fall apart. And, again, when I am on a Metro/T-Mobile tower, I get 4G LTE just fine and everything works great.

Have you checked your network settings. Maybe something was "reset" so to speak when you pulled the SIM card out of the phone. I would check the network settings such as APN and the options you have available to you for roaming. There should be a couple settings such as "allow data roaming" or "preferred network type." These may not be exact as I havent played with a Moto since I got my mom a G and set it up for her.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones