• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

**** OFFICIAL **** ICS COMING SOON thread... Post all questions and info here!!!!

Hi there. I've got a rooted Razr. (Clockwork Mod Recovery v5.0.2.5) I bought the phone off ebay and so have no clue how it was rooted. I can't update to ICS with the OTA Update as it keeps failing. What is my best option if I'm not bothered about preserving the root but want ICS? And is it newbie proof? Current software is 651.167.26.XT910.Retail.en.Eu MANY THANKS to anyone who can give me some help.

You should be able to go into clockwork mod and install the stock recovery, or uninstall the custom recovery...from there, the ota should go. If not, find search for matt's utility and use it to flash back to stock then ota to ics.

Reactions: cazziecaz
Upvote 0
Hi there. I've got a rooted Razr. (Clockwork Mod Recovery v5.0.2.5) I bought the phone off ebay and so have no clue how it was rooted. I can't update to ICS with the OTA Update as it keeps failing. What is my best option if I'm not bothered about preserving the root but want ICS? And is it newbie proof? Current software is 651.167.26.XT910.Retail.en.Eu MANY THANKS to anyone who can give me some help.

I found THIS thread and it ended up linking me HERE.

Most of the guys here have a CDMA razr and you have a GSM Razr. We'll gladly assist where we can but, unfortunately, most of us don't have a whole lot of knowledge of the GSM versions. :(

Start with those links and hopefully they help get you straightened out. )

Reactions: cazziecaz
Upvote 0
What's the most current official version of ICS? I have .211 which I got as leak about a week (via Matt's utility I am quite sure) before it was official. Since then, I noticed that there is .214 and .215 leaks.

I am rooted and have bloatware disabled/uninstalled, so I know I will have to use Matt's Utility to revert back to .211 before going to anything else. Just want to be sure I am going to most current before I go through the process of re-setting up my phone.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'll agree though, it's a shame they took out the "charge only" setting in ICS. Many people used that option!

If you are connecting to a PC only to use ADB or USB Tethering, what USB mode should you now use in ICS? Which is the most "benign" since you aren't intending to do any file stuff?

The instructions I have, always specifically recommend using "charge only" mode, but those were written back in Gingerbread days.

Upvote 0
Try a factory reset. It may do wonders.

Why is "factory reset" always the generic fix-all for everything? It's like a mechanic at your local dealership saying "We don't know how to fix it... so we suggest pulling off your wheels...ripping out your stereo...sandblasting your custom paint...and tearing off your window tint. You'll lose everything you worked hard to customize...but hey... 50/50 chance it'll improve". Huh???

Upvote 0
Why is "factory reset" always the generic fix-all for everything? It's like a mechanic at your local dealership saying "We don't know how to fix it... so we suggest pulling off your wheels...ripping out your stereo...sandblasting your custom paint...and tearing off your window tint. You'll lose everything you worked hard to customize...but hey... 50/50 chance it'll improve". Huh???

It isn't really a fix-all for everything, but it is the recommended course of action after receiving an OS update. It is also the recommended course of action from every ROM developer when changing ROMS. It helps ensure that files are where they need to be and unwanted files are out of the way.

Since you are using a car analogy, let me try it this way. Imagine you just changed from a manual 5-speed transmission to an automatic transmission in your car (no I have no idea why anyone would do this either, but it is just an analogy). You changed the transmission, but didn't bother to remove a bunch of the parts from the original 5-speed. Now, do you expect your car to run properly with the old parts still rattling around in there? I wouldn't either. The same thing happens with your phone. You've just changed a major part of the phone, the user interface, and leaving the extra parts there to just rattle around will decrease performance and may lead to other problems later on.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I got the update today sys ver 672.180.41.XT910.NonEFIGSRetail.en.EU, 4.0.4.
Conclusion up to now:
1. My music doesn't work?! message "Sorry. My Music has sopped working!" How come, terrible...
2. My Gallery works only if you don't slide downwards. Works when started from file explorer-view image?!
3. Home key press - no more all desktop screens shown at once?!

The only thing that worked better is that now I get faster WiFi speeds...
That's for now. Waiting for Motorola support regarding this issues.
Do think before you update...

Upvote 0
AFAIK, spale, the home key press never worked on the RAZR MAXX. I had one (dumped a Galaxy Nexus for it, too) before it got ICS; I never got the home key press to show all the desktop screens at once. I only saw that on my HTC DInc and my DInc 2. I don't think my wife sees it on her Samsung Droid Charge, although that phone does something I wish the RAZRs did: I can swipe screens in one direction or the other and cycle through them continuously. If I'm on screen 4 and I want to get to screen 1, I don't have to back up through 3 and 2 to get there, I just swipe through 5 and there I am. IWBNI RAZRs had this feature. But I miss the long home key press to all desktop screens at once. I must admit, though, I've gotten used to long home key press to recent apps. It makes cycling between apps (say, info in a note that you want to put into an SMS) a good bit easier than carrying state in your head.

Upvote 0
Okay so I figured I would try posting here instead of opening a new thread. I just unlocked a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx after I updated it to ICS. I am in Canada and when I inserted my Bell SIM card it worked!! I was able to make phone calls with the SIM card. The problem I am having is my Data will not work. It has to be connected to Wi-Fi to load a web page. I have not adjusted any settings and the phone was Factory Reset before I attempted the update. This is the first android I have ever owned and I am not sure what to do about this Data problem. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Make sure you have everything backed up, and do another Factory Data Reset.
Some of the leftover GB stuff doesn't play well with ICS.
The reset after ICS install fixes many people's issues.

I have tried doing that. I did a full factory reset after I updated to ICS, I had to do it manually through recovery as I had no SIM card from Verizon and the phone wouldn't open without one, but I will try a full reset again.
Thanks
P.S.
There is an app that keeps trying to load. It is called Verizon Data Services. It wants me to login to a verizon account. Could that be preventing the new data service from working? Would Rooting the phone possibly fix this?

Upvote 0
Still waiting for ICS.. I have a LATAM phone.. I hear that LATAM phones will get their update at the end of August... This delay is ridiculous.. Some phone are already out with Jelly bean, and we are still on Gingerbread..

Well, according to Moto's own blog, people with LATAM phones may or may not get ICS update at all!

Oh well, t'hell with Moto, my Galaxy SIII is on its way.. so-long suckus..

Upvote 0
I bought my XT910 in March this year from Amazon. Not a reseller, but actually Amazon. The product listing said clearly that the phone will be upgraded to ICS. By now it looks like ICS will not be coming to my version of the phone (LATAM) and I contacted Amazon to ask why they advertised the phone as ICS upgradable.

Amazon replies suggested I call Motorola Mobility and gave me the 800 number. and If the issue is not resolved, to contact the, again.

From reading this forum, and Motorola's Official Upgrade Blog it looks like not all XT910 will be upgraded, but no one would come out and say LATAM phone will not receive updates. here is what the Motorola official blog says "ICS Upgrade (Android 4.0.4) rollout began in June 2012 for select countries and carriers".

Today I called Motorola Mobility. I tried to transcribe the conversation as it happens, Here is a condensed version:

I got through and after identifying myself, and giving all the info they needed I said that Im calling because my phone has not received ICS update yet.

Me: Why isn't my phone updated to ICS?

Moto: I am very sorry for the inconv... blah blah blah.. what's your phone number..
me: 408xxxxxxxx
Moto: what is the phone serial number.. you can find it by taking out the...
Me: hang on.. it it is xxxx.....
Moto: let me put you on hold...
(two min on hold....)
Moto: Sir, our records show that your phone is rooted and it will not receiver any updates.
me: my phone is NOT rooted..
Moto: our records show..
Me: your records are WRONG..
Moto: our records shh...
Me: MY PHONE IS NOT ROOTED! IF IT WERE ROOTED I WOULD HAVE AN ICS ROM RUNNING ON IT ALREADY!
Moto: maybe it was sold to you rooted?
Me: Amazon?!?
Moto: check to see if you have an app called Superuser
Me: I don't have that app..
Moto: it could have been deleted..
Me: The phone is NOT rooted..
Moto: Our systems show..
Me: the phone is not rooted..
Moto: Maybe Amazon rooted the phone..
ME: REALLY..
Moto: lets try a test, download an app called Titanium Backup. It will not work if the phone it not rooted..
downloaded, installed blah blah, Open.
Me: I got a message saying that my phone must be rooted for the app to work
Moto: Let me check with second level support
me: Please

Over ten minutes on hold interupted by a few "Sorry to keep you waiting, Ill be right with you"

Moto: Maybe Amazon rooted it, and then loaded a stock Firmware so it looks like its not rooted, it is very technical..
Me: why would they do that??? they advertised the phone as repeatable to ICS, why would they sell me a phone that CAN NOT BE UPGRADED
Moto: Amazon is a third party and they do those things sometime
Me: Amazon is bigger and more prestigious company than Motorola Mobility.. they will not do such things..
Moto: Arie, Im telling our records show your phone is rooted..
Me: I will contact Amazon and tell them that Motorola says you sold me a hacked phone..
Moto: Arie, this phone is designed to only work in Canada..
Me: NO! this is a GSM phone and it can work anywhere, and it DOES!
Moto: Oh! it is UNLOCKED!
Me: Sure it is!
Moto: that's what I was saying..
Me: No! you said that my phone it ROOTED!!! Unlock means that the phone is can use ANY SIM! its SIM unlocked. If I got to Motorola website and buy a phone for $600 it would be UNLOCKED!! (Blood pressure!!!)
Moto: Because your phone is rooted, it will not receive any updates..
Me: it is not rooted (whimper)...
Moto: Sir, there is nothing we can do if your phone is rooted..
Me: OK, I am going to contact Amazon and say: Motorola says you sold me a rooted phone.
Moto: Im Sorry sir..
Me: Sir! I know for a fact, that no other phone with my software version has ever received an ICS upgrade. I know it because I read the MOTOROLA USER FORUM and no user with a phone with the same software version as mine has received ICS
Moto: Our records show that this is not correct..
Me: so there is nothing else you can do for me..
Moto: Im sorry sir..

----

I contacted Amazon with the above outcome of my call with Motorola, and two hours later I got an email back, saying that although the return policy is only for 30 days, they'll make an exception and take my phone back! very cool! I got a RM label and packed the phone.

That evening I get an automatic email from Motorola asking for feedback on the call earlier that day. They were asking for feedback.. They were asking for it, and i was not kind.

-------

The next morning at 7am (!), I get a call from Motorola, asking me how they can help. They offered to push ICS to my phone and help in any way they can. I explained that it is too late, and Amazon stepped up and solved my problem and I have already mails out the phone. I also explained how angry it makes me to know that they actually have a LATAM version of ICS, but would not roll it out unless the $hit hits the fan..

--
I have friends who work for Motorola Mobility here in teh bay area, and I Understand that teh problem with ICS for LATAM phones is that teh team that was supposed to roll out the update was mostly gone after the last round of layoffs..
There are still owners of LATAM XT910 phone that are waiting, and probably never are going to get the update..
---
Today I received the refund from Amazon, and I am delighted with my Galaxy SIII..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones