• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs Old Cobol Programmer need advice

Cobolfan

Lurker
Jan 17, 2016
I'm an old mainframe programmer with old habits, I cannot digest changes in life. Big step for me in 2011 I've entered into the Android world with a Froyo tablet and smartphone, and I've deepen pretty into customization of Froyo itself (which i really like), dozens of apps, and some custom apps that a fellow coded for me which run up to ICS.
It's my birthday and I'm gonna get a brand new phone (I can choose it) , so I'd like a 2015 phone which i can flash with a Froyo or ICS ROM (stock/ firmware, or close to an stock one) , is that possible? which phone? where could i get an old ROM for a new phone?

Thanks in advance from far away.

You could have a look at the availability of CyanogenMod for various devices. Something to be aware of, if it's an older version like CM9, which is 4.0 ICS, then it's usually older devices of that period, nothing recent.
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/

Thing with the no-name Chinese MID devices, they can indeed be very proprietary and undocumented, and often the manufacturer isn't known either. On the other hand popular devices, like certain Samsung and HTC phones and tablets, there's plenty of information out there. Such as the ones you find listed in Cyanogen's download repo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones