• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oneplus 8T - Swapping components between KB2007 & KB2000

Hi,

Mistakenly I ordered this OnePlus 8T (KB2007) through eBay which is locked to T mobile US. In my country T-Mobile network is not available. Now I got a lead to this OnePlus 8T (KB2000 global version) with a display issue (other than the display issue all other functions are working well in that phone). And I can get it for a very fair deal.

What I am thinking is to get this phone (KB2000) and swap its inside parts with my OnePlus 8T (KB2007). So I just need the 'display and the housing' of the KB2007 to be compatible with the other components of KB2000 (both phones exactly same 12 Gb RAM, 256 Storage 5G version)

I just want to know whether this is technically feasible?

Because I still need to pay and buy that KB2000 from this local seller. If the components are not compatible and can not be swapped with my phone the money spent will be a waste. So before buying I need to make sure whether it is compatible.

All your support is warmly welcome !

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_8t-10420.php
Yes, this is apparently 'technically feasible', you're looking into two phones that are same product line from the same manufacturer. The primary difference is based on a software/firmware issue, which phone works with whichever cellular service. (From a hardware aspect, it involves the same cellular radio chip that's in both models, which itself supports a wide range of different bands/frequencies). So be wary of also swapping the logic boards along with the displays, the software/firmware on that T-Mobile KB2007 phone is installed in the internal storage chip.

But offhand, I'd also recommend NOT doing this. It's not just parts to account for but the labor charge. Smartphones are essentially made to be left as is, there are very few replaceable or serviceable components inside. They're made to be used and then retired for things like a media player or dumped (hopefully recycled but that's typically not an economic reality yet.) For whatever reasons a lot of people have misconceptions that smartphones are like desktop computers, where you can readily add RAM, replace video cards and storage drives. But a typical smartphone is sealed up tight, with a lot of glues and adhesives that need to be taken apart gently when disassembling and replaced when reassembling. The iFixit site has a nice tutorial guide on the process of replacing the screen of this phone model, just to give you some insight on what's involved:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/OnePlus+8T+Screen+Replacement/143444
You're taking a gamble that this will work out in the end anyway. Buying a pre-owned, damaged phone is big risk. Yes the claim might be just a damaged screen but this also could involve a lot of other damage to the phone. I'd just accept the loss and look into buying a new, appropriate phone that just works as is.

You might want to look into replacing the installed Android operating system on that T-Mobile phone, typically referred to as flashing the ROM. It's the firmware that's an integral part of the operating system and part of how T-Mobile implements its carrier-lock on that model. (The cellular radio chip is a fixed aspect and hardware so that's a given with all the 8T variants.)
https://www.getdroidtips.com/oneplus-8t-stock-firmware/
Try flashing the universal firmware version, that's a matching the version number (i.e. 11.x or 12.x) with what's currently running on that phone to be on the safe side (let your manufacturer or carrier do the OTA upgrading), or use a newer version if you're feeling more bold.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_8t-10420.php
Yes, this is apparently 'technically feasible', you're looking into two phones that are same product line from the same manufacturer. The primary difference is based on a software/firmware issue, which phone works with whichever cellular service. (From a hardware aspect, it involves the same cellular radio chip that's in both models, which itself supports a wide range of different bands/frequencies). So be wary of also swapping the logic boards along with the displays, the software/firmware on that T-Mobile KB2007 phone is installed in the internal storage chip.

But offhand, I'd also recommend NOT doing this. It's not just parts to account for but the labor charge. Smartphones are essentially made to be left as is, there are very few replaceable or serviceable components inside. They're made to be used and then retired for things like a media player or dumped (hopefully recycled but that's typically not an economic reality yet.) For whatever reasons a lot of people have misconceptions that smartphones are like desktop computers, where you can readily add RAM, replace video cards and storage drives. But a typical smartphone is sealed up tight, with a lot of glues and adhesives that need to be taken apart gently when disassembling and replaced when reassembling. The iFixit site has a nice tutorial guide on the process of replacing the screen of this phone model, just to give you some insight on what's involved:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/OnePlus+8T+Screen+Replacement/143444
You're taking a gamble that this will work out in the end anyway. Buying a pre-owned, damaged phone is big risk. Yes the claim might be just a damaged screen but this also could involve a lot of other damage to the phone. I'd just accept the loss and look into buying a new, appropriate phone that just works as is.

You might want to look into replacing the installed Android operating system on that T-Mobile phone, typically referred to as flashing the ROM. It's the firmware that's an integral part of the operating system and part of how T-Mobile implements its carrier-lock on that model. (The cellular radio chip is a fixed aspect and hardware so that's a given with all the 8T variants.)
https://www.getdroidtips.com/oneplus-8t-stock-firmware/
Try flashing the universal firmware version, that's a matching the version number (i.e. 11.x or 12.x) with what's currently running on that phone to be on the safe side (let your manufacturer or carrier do the OTA upgrading), or use a newer version if you're feeling more bold.

First of all thank you and really appreciate your time taken to write this in detail reply.

I have accounted the labour charges as well. Its not much as I personally know the technician. Its still cheaper and hassle free for me than shipping the phone back and forth to USA.

That pre owned phone is a one display green line phone as a victim of the updating from android 11 to 12. Other than that issue phone is in perfect condition.

I perfectly understand the difficulty, hassle and the risk in the procedure. As I said what I was wondering about is the compatibility of these components between two variants.

Basically what I wanted to know is whether the KB2000 (Global version) components are compatible with the display and the housing of KB2007 (T mobile US)?

If it is a CONFIRMED YES I am ready to face other risks. :)

Upvote 0
That pre owned phone is a one display green line phone as a victim of the updating from android 11 to 12. Other than that issue phone is in perfect condition.
If that has been determined and verified to be the problem, that's just a software issue. The upgrade process failed in some way that affected the video driver/firmware. Why not just try reapplying the upgrade or re-flash the phone with its newer, stock (international) ROM? Software fixes are less involved than hardware swapping of components. Fixing up that international model will negate the need to mess with that T-Mobile model.

Basically what I wanted to know is whether the KB2000 (Global version) components are compatible with the display and the housing of KB2007 (T mobile US)?
Yes, the housing is the same for that model line (8T). But I still think you're better off just fixing that international model. Even if you do have all that work done, you're still going to need to flash the stock ROM on that T-Mobile phone to solve it's carrier-lock issue.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
If that has been determined and verified to be the problem, that's just a software issue. The upgrade process failed in some way that affected the video driver/firmware. Why not just try reapplying the upgrade or re-flash the phone with its newer, stock (international) ROM? Software fixes are less involved than hardware swapping of components. Fixing up that international model will negate the need to mess with that T-Mobile model.

No dude Its a hardware related issue specific to OnePlus 8T which happened after upgrading from android 11 to 12. Just search the internet, you will find the evidence. Software fixes will not work with that. OnePlus did replaced the display FOC for phones which were under warranty and which also didn't had physical damages.

Even if you do have all that work done, you're still going to need to flash the stock ROM on that T-Mobile phone to solve it's carrier-lock issue.

Dude, I guess you misunderstood here. I do not need to 'flash the stock ROM on that T-Mobile phone to solve it's carrier-lock issue'. I am going to get rid of the T-Mobile Mainboard. And just going to take that international version Mainboard (actually I am not too sure KB2000 is international version or Chinese version :rolleyes: WHATEVER) and put it inside my T mobile housing and Display. So I ll be using the international version Mainboard.

BTW I just found out that the T-Mobile variant comes only with one sim tray. Don't know how that is going to affect :(

Upvote 0
But that 'green line' in the international model display is apparently because of some glitch in the upgrade process from 11 to 12. That's a software issue, not hardware. By also swapping the logic boards, you're just transferring that same problem from the international model to the T-Mobile model.
In that case, you're still going to need to flash the stock ROM to clear the problem. By swapping parts from one phone to the other, that just adds a lot of potential problems (i.e. support with the SIM slot) since you're still going to need to flash the stock ROM at some point anyway.

Upvote 0
But that 'green line' in the international model display is apparently because of some glitch in the upgrade process from 11 to 12. That's a software issue, not hardware. By also swapping the logic boards, you're just transferring that same problem from the international model to the T-Mobile model.
In that case, you're still going to need to flash the stock ROM to clear the problem. By swapping parts from one phone to the other, that just adds a lot of potential problems (i.e. support with the SIM slot) since you're still going to need to flash the stock ROM at some point anyway.

Dude.. If that green line issue is a software glitch and can be overcome by re flashing the firmware, why did Oneplus Company replace the display (hardware) for their customers?

And the balance part... TBH I do not understand brother (I am not a tech guy, just a lament )

Upvote 0
Dude.. If that green line issue is a software glitch and can be overcome by re flashing the firmware, why did Oneplus Company replace the display (hardware) for their customers?

And the balance part... TBH I do not understand brother (I am not a tech guy, just a lament )

Well according to your description, the green line in the display came about because of a version upgrade from 11 to 12. That's all software based, not hardware. If there are some other issues that actually took place to physically affect the display, please elaborate with more revealing details.

The Android operating system resides in the internal storage chip that's soldered to the logic board. So there are some givens you have to account for
-- That T-Mobile model is apparently running the carrier-locked Android OS (T-Mobile branding is integral to the OS)
-- That International model is apparently running the carrier-unlocked, international Android OS.
-- You 'might' be able to get that T-Mobile model working as an international phone by trying to flash the stock international firmware, but that's just a maybe. As you pointed out one has a single SIM tray, the other a double SIM tray. Support for each is part of the firmware that's running on each phone.
-- If you do have the display and logic board removed from the international model and put it into the T-Mobile model, that just transfers that same green line problem into the T-Mobile model. And you'll need to flash the stock ROM anyway.
So I still contend you might as well just focus on fixing that International model, unless there are other problems to it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Odds are you are going to end up with 2 phones that have been busted open trying to fix one phone. The end result is two basically dead parts phones.

You should just bite the bullet and resale the OP8T and start from square one. When buying unlocked phones, non carrier specific phones you need to research what models will work in your area. I've seen so many incorrect descriptions on Ebay and Amazon. Not just look at Global phones either, look at each specific model and the bands that phone supports. Every manufacturer is very different about what bands they support in what areas except Apple and Google. The new Apple/Google phones basically support all bands worldwide

Reactions: Sandun Karunarathna
Upvote 0
I have done swapping displays of Oneplus 8T between KB2007 & KB2000.

All work perfectly fine except the FINGERPRINT

Fingerprint does not being recognized at all.

Does anybody have an answer to this ?

What I found googling is it needs to be recalibrated through a oneplus official store

Does anyone have any idea about any other way, as I am not having a OP official store in my country

Anyone's help here is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Yes, the housing is the same for that model line (8T). But I still think you're better off just fixing that international model. Even if you do have all that work done, you're still going to need to flash the stock ROM on that T-Mobile phone to solve it's carrier-lock issue.

Dude, we've given you all the best advice.
If you don't believe us, or don't want to sound like a pain in the a** you're free to reach out to other Android Forums that are out there.
Jeez take a pill.

Odds are you are going to end up with 2 phones that have been busted open trying to fix one phone. The end result is two basically dead parts phones.

You should just bite the bullet and resale the OP8T and start from square one. When buying unlocked phones, non carrier specific phones you need to research what models will work in your area. I've seen so many incorrect descriptions on Ebay and Amazon. Not just look at Global phones either, look at each specific model and the bands that phone supports. Every manufacturer is very different about what bands they support in what areas except Apple and Google. The new Apple/Google phones basically support all bands worldwide

I have done swapping displays of Oneplus 8T between KB2007 & KB2000.

All work perfectly fine except the FINGERPRINT

Fingerprint does not being recognized at all.

Does anybody have an answer to this ?

What I found googling is it needs to be recalibrated through a oneplus official store

Does anyone have any idea about any other way, as I am not having a OP official store in my country

Anyone's help here is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones