• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opinions on White Lies?

My father was a stickler for telling the truth. He had zero tolerance for lies and no respect for those he caught in a lie. He was brutally honest even when forced into a situation that would end a friendship. "A man is only as good as his word". He lived that and enforced that as I was growing up. I respected the man for living his convictions.
I do not lie. I will avoid telling the truth if I know it will hurt someone's feelings needlessly. Many things are best unsaid. With that said, it would likely be a lie if I was to say that I never told a white lie. I can't think of one but I think it's unreasonable to think that I've successfully avoided hurting someone's feelings without fudging a bit sometime or another.

Upvote 0
My wife’s opinion is that anything less than the complete truth is a lie, including white lies and including remaining silent.
Questions like "does this dress make me look fat?" or "does my butt look bad in this swimsuit?" are evidence of double-jeopardy. She doesn't approve of white lies unless the white lies involve HER. The prudent husband will respond, "not really, but I think that other outfit is far more flattering for you. I know I like it more when you wear it..."
:)
On a serious note, I don't think white lies are actually "lies" by deception or omission - but rather a diplomatic way of concealing, or coating, a truth. I may tell her that we're going somewhere when, in reality, we're going somewhere else for a far better reason: but it's a surprise. Or, perhaps, that I didn't even think about our anniversary being today - but then she opens our newspaper to see a large ad in the classifieds about how much I love her and I love being married to her.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones