• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OPPO A37m Contacts and Call issue

charlington

Sep 8, 2015
My OPPO A37m has an issue: when I save my contacts numbers on the phone starting with 0 as is the usual case here, when am called my phone displays on my phone as strange number the call gets to my phone with added country code prefix + it doesn't recognize the number saved on phone book. something I don't see on settings. advise pls

What happens if you store your contacts in international format? Do you still get this "can't identify" problem? I store most of my contacts this way (so e.g. for my UK contacts I replace "0" with "+44"), because it makes no difference at all when I am in the same country as them but does when I am not.

Though I am surprised by this problem, because phones generally use the last N digits rather than the first for matching, probably for just this reason.

Upvote 0
when I save in phone's phone book in international format, it displays the name correctly as I saved on phone book when am called and It is some how cumbersome to always dial numbers I know off head in internation format when calling or I want to SMS. Suggestions are welcome. If I save the number in international format in phone book, if I dial the number without + and start with 0 it displays that am dialing a strange number.

What happens if you store your contacts in international format? Do you still get this "can't identify" problem? I store most of my contacts this way (so e.g. for my UK contacts I replace "0" with "+44"), because it makes no difference at all when I am in the same country as them but does when I am not.

Though I am surprised by this problem, because phones generally use the last N digits rather than the first for matching, probably for just this reason.

Upvote 0
Surely you don't have to dial them: you select them from your contact book (or recent calls list) and press the call icon? Or use the search function in the dialer and choose the recipient by name? For SMS I usually just type the recipient's name, I never enter the number unless it's one that's not in my contacts. I rarely type a number that I already have in my contacts.

If I do type in a number in local format that I have stored in international format my phone shows it as "unknown" until I press the call button, at which point the call screen identifies the contact (and shows the correct person in the call list). That suggests a different lookup method when entering a number via the keypad vs when a call is active. That is inconvenient, in that I can't select the name when I've only half-typed the number, but as I say that's not how I call people anyway (which is probably why I didn't spot this until testing just now), and I'd consider it failing to identify incoming callers a bigger inconvenience.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones