• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange UK Sky Sports mobile TV package

Camel Chops

Feb 9, 2011
Does anyone know if its possible to watch the Orange UK mobile TV (sky sports package) on an unbranded One X? I only ask because I've currently got an unbranded Desire HD and whenever I try to watch mobile TV via Orange World, it says that my handset isn't compatible. I've spoken with orange tech support and they've told me its because I've not got an orange branded phone. I'm going to be swapping over to a One X tomorrow and I'm hoping that someone knows a way round this problem. Thanks for any help

I have an unbranded Galaxy S2 which works with the Orange Sky Sports Swappable.

I recently switched to Orange mainly because of the Sky Sports package - I went through Phones 4U (Dialaphone) and didn't realise it at the time but their deals provide you with an unbranded phone (and with redemption the net monthly cost is cheaper than buying direct from Orange too)

I found that the picture quality on sky sports with orange is very variable - popular matches with big demand can be unwatchable if Orange servers get overloaded e.g. Man City vs United last night was totally useless! Watching over wi-fi does work too but gives no improvement on picture quality.

Cheers

Upvote 0
All in all I think it's a bit of a con and yet another example of a great headline product from Orange but the execution really is Dire :(
As was previously mentioned, The City v Man U game was unwatchable on my Note and the faffing around required to get the bloomin thing to work was immense.
I'd tap the swapable and be asked to validate my phone. You enter your number and submit it..... You get a little message saying that you will shortly receive a text message with a link which will take you through to Sky..... It never came, so that was me kissing goodbye to wifi.
So i turn wifi off and enable 3G...... Absolute bag of rubbish... how they can call that a service I have no idea and if anyone out there is paying for it and receiving the same standard, then you need to get your money back
If the customers who are paying for the bundle as an extra.... if they are receiving a workable picture then the service is being advertised incorrectly..... It's a shambles and after many hours on the phone to orange, being passed from pillar to post, I find this immensely frustrating. Especially because it's one of the reasons I bought the note. Salespeople, Pah.... nothing but commission driven drones who will say anything.
Why are they not accountable for the drivel they spew? The idiot who told me that everything was brilliant, should have the commission he made on the sale of my comtract, he should have it taken out of next months wages because I've obviously been lied to.
Anyway, Sky Sports Swapable........avoid it, Orange is not set up or geared up to deliver the service properly yet and are earning money while they shrug their shoulders at it..... :mad:

Upvote 0
Ive got sky sports mobile tv on orange swapable working on my htc one x and found it to be better than expected although quality can be variable like most video streaming.I wouldnt want to connect the phone to my 42 in lcd tv tho' as the picture quality would be awful.Its really only good for catching up with scores live as it were.I wonder when the F1 channel will be added to the swapable version of ssm tv?

Upvote 0
Hi stevenpaul
How on earth did you get that working. I've been trying for hours now on the new shiny one x with every browser I can think of. Firefox&Opera give a message saying the phone is incompatible; Chrome,Dolphin and the built in browser get as far as the video stream loading screen and then pop up a message saying that the video can not be played.

Orange helpline are no help either, the lady rekons I had done well just to get it that far as most people could not even get past the swapable selection pages but had no advice on what else to try other than the good old "switch it off and on again" .

Any help would be much appreciated.

//Edit
Nevermind. Got it working now but it will only run on the mobile data not wifi. The quality is not worth the effort.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones