• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [OS] Build Box

SuperR

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2010
Invisible
DISCLAIMER: By using this OS, you understand that only YOU are responsible for anything good or bad that may come from it.

Build Box is a Linux distro that includes a pre-installed Android build environment. That's right, anyone itching to try their hand at building Android can now install a fully functional Android build environment without the headache of setting it up. It comes in two flavors, Ubuntu 13.04 and Linux Mint 15 Olivia.

This is a live distro meaning it can be run without installation from a DVD or USB flash drive, or be installed to a hard drive. In theory, you could use a flash drive and set up a persistence partition to hold your source and your build. You could then run the whole thing live without ever installing it to your computer. Of course your flash drive would need to be quite large and older machines will not boot to USB. It is still recommended to install Build Box before running builds, but i have no doubt someone will try it ;)

Once you have installed the OS or have it running live, you will find a file called Read First on the desktop. This file will tell you all you need to know to get Build Box building Android. It is set up initially to build cm10 for the ZTE Warp Sequent, and the guide explains how to easily modify for other sources and devices.

Enjoy!

You will need to set up a udev rule for your device in order to use adb and fastboot properly. Mint Build Box 15 Olivia has the warp2 udev rules pre-installed. Please take a look at the Udev Rules Tool for automatic and easy setup for all devices.

OR, you can do it manually by following the steps below.

In a terminal:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
For the warp2 copy/paste the following changing OWNER to you
Code:
# ZTE Warp Sequent
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="19d2", ATTR{idProduct}=="0306", MODE="0666", OWNER="superr"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="19d2", ATTR{idProduct}=="1351", MODE="0666", OWNER="superr"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="d00d", MODE="0666", OWNER="superr"
Save and close gedit. In terminal:
Code:
sudo service udev restart

NOTE:
For anyone who decides to build with our device tree, i found an error. It's very easy to fix but it will fail your build.

After the proprietary files have been pulled from your device:

Navigate to the file:
Code:
/vendor/zte/warp2/warp2-vendor-blobs.mk

Remove the line:
Code:
vendor/zte/warp2/proprietary/lib/libaudioalsa.so:obj/lib/libaudioalsa.so \

Save, Done.

Downloads:

Mint Build Box 15 Olivia

Ubuntu Build Box 13.04-2

UNetbootin is a great tool to make a bootable flash drive. It is open-source and available for Windows/Mac/Linux.

Old/Outdated Files:

Mint Build Box 14 Nadia
Username: guest
Password: (empty, just press enter)

Ubuntu Build Box 13.04

BuildBox_Desktop_files.zip includes a READ FIRST file and a prepare_build script that will do all the things I couldn't build in to the OS (repo init, repo sync, git clone device tree, extract-files.sh, and get-prebuilts). Extract the zip anywhere, edit prepare_build script if needed, and run in terminal. It will prompt you to plug in your phone for extract-files.sh. It is commented for easy transition to other devices.

I'm gonna try to hit the ground running with this dev stuff. But question for you guys that have been spoiling us,

Ubuntu Touch, is it possible?

not yet. ubuntu has not even released a phone yet to my knowledge. it is supposed to be on the way though :)

edit: It would run very poorly on our phone anyway. It requires dual-core.

Reactions: Seraph08
Upvote 0
Restoring Android
The Ubuntu Touch Preview image is not for everyone and may not suit your current needs (yet). If you wish to roll back to an Android factory image, follow these steps:

Recall the version that was installed before flashing.
Download the factory image corresponding to your device's model and version (initial table has links).
Ensure the device is connected and powered on.
Extract the downloaded file and cd into the extracted directory.
run adb reboot-bootloader

run ./flash-all.sh (use sudo if lack of permissions on the workstation don't allow you to talk to the device).

If you want to lock the bootloader after restoring the factory image, follow these steps:

Power on the device by holding the Power button + volume up + volume down.
The device will boot into the bootloader.
Plug the device into the computer via the USB cable.
On your computer, press Ctrl+Alt+T to start a terminal. Type sudo fastboot oem lock, followed by Enter

Your device should boot into Android after the process is finished.

Upvote 0
DISCLAIMER: By using this OS, you understand that only YOU are responsible for anything good or bad that may come from it.

Ubuntu Build Box is a linux distro based on Ubuntu 13.04 that includes a pre-installed Android build environment. That's right, anyone itching to try their hand at building Android can now install a fully functional Android build environment without the headache of setting it up.

This is a live distro meaning it can be run without installation from a DVD or USB flash drive, or be installed to a hard drive. In theory, you could use a flash drive and set up a persistence partition to hold your source and your build. You could then run the whole thing live without ever installing it to your computer. Of course your flash drive would need to be quite large and older machines will not boot to USB. It is still recommended to install Ubuntu Build Box before running builds, but i have no doubt someone will try it ;)

Once you have installed the OS or have it running live, you will find a text file on the desktop that will tell you all you need to know to get Ubuntu Build Box building Android. It is set up to build any flavor of Android for any device and the guide explains how to modify for other sources and devices.

Enjoy!

Downloads:
Ubuntu Build Box 13.04

Note: UNetbootIn is a great tool to make a bootable flash drive. It is open-source and available for Windows/Mac/Linux.

Please let me know if anything needs to be changed/added/removed as this project was conceived and born the same day lol

Just because the only thing holding me back from trying to compile was setting up a build environment, I will give it a go today.

Reactions: boricuakiller
Upvote 0
there is another distro that already did this too, bbqlinux I think its called. Also in your indeveres<sp?> you will find there is no better gui file explorer than nautilus. The others work fine for simple things, but nautilus is a very powerful file explorer. ;)

And personally I use XFCE, its light weight, very customizable (I have screenies of my setup sum place).

I also highly recommend to install this or any distro rather than trying to build via a live cd/dvd. It may work, but your build times will suck and if you're already using a older machine with old specs you could be looking at hours for a build to complete. ;)

At any rate, nice write up SuperR. ;)

Also I have numerous guides on my wiki that should prove helpful to those wanting to learn. ;)

Reactions: SuperR
Upvote 0
there is another distro that already did this too, bbqlinux I think its called. Also in your indeveres<sp?> you will find there is no better gui file explorer than nautilus. The others work fine for simple things, but nautilus is a very powerful file explorer. ;)

And personally I use XFCE, its light weight, very customizable (I have screenies of my setup sum place).

I also highly recommend to install this or any distro rather than trying to build via a live cd/dvd. It may work, but your build times will suck and if you're already using a older machine with old specs you could be looking at hours for a build to complete. ;)

At any rate, nice write up SuperR. ;)

Also I have numerous guides on my wiki that should prove helpful to those wanting to learn. ;)

Thanks for the input PG :)

regarding nautilus, nemo is mints fork of nautilus with more options. Nautilus in 13.04 for example does not let you do split screen via f3. I can't deal. Been using nemo for several months and I certainly don't miss the new crippled Nautilus ;)

I used xfce for a few years, but I prefer unity now surprisingly lol

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input PG :)

regarding nautilus, nemo is mints fork of nautilus with more options. Nautilus in 13.04 for example does not let you do split screen via f3. I can't deal. Been using nemo for several months and I certainly don't miss the new crippled Nautilus ;)

I used xfce for a few years, but I prefer unity now surprisingly lol

I will have to check it out then. Lol
Nemo that is lol i cant stand unity.

Upvote 0
I will have to check it out then. Lol
Nemo that is lol i cant stand unity.

Nemo is a very nice project. When you install it you get the cinnamon desktop installed as well, so you can easily switch between an ubuntu session and a cinnamon session at login.

edit: here is an article about nemo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones