• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone slow after rooting #2

I posted a thread recently about my HTC Desire being slow after rooting but I put it down to using Data2SD and also using the stock class 2 card with that.

I have now installed a class 6 16GB Lexar card and reflashed Cyanogenmod 7 without Data2Sd and using s2e instead.

However the phone is still as slow as a week in jail. Apps like Seesmic and Dolphin Browser HD hang all the time and I keep getting the message 'Activity Dolphin Browser HD (in application Dolphin Browser HD) is not responding. Force Close/Wait.

Tried playing Angry Birds and it was unusable with several seconds delay on every action.

When I got my new 16GB card I created an EXT3 partition of about 1.2GB - is the size of this partition important when using s2e?

Is there a performance tool I can install to see why the phone keeps hanging?

Getting quite exasperated with the thing now! Have resisted firing it at a wall so far!

If you move the apps back to internal storage using S2E, does the lag still occur?
If not, move only the apps to SD card and see how it is performing.
If things are still OK, then move also the Dalvik cache.

The good thing about S2E is that you can do all that step by step.

Have moved them back to internal storage, rebooted and it is back to normal speed. Although this is interesting it defeats the whole purpose I had for rooting, which is to get round the internal storage issue! What are the optimum settings for s2e?

Upvote 0
Have moved them back to internal storage, rebooted and it is back to normal speed. Although this is interesting it defeats the whole purpose I had for rooting, which is to get round the internal storage issue! What are the optimum settings for s2e?
Good. Now we know that the ROM works as it's intended to work. The issue seems to come from communicating with the card.

As stated above, try now to move only the Applications (Not Private apps. It is very small anyway).
Also, in Settings Advanced mode, un-check the below two things.

ss-320-2-3

Reactions: OhBoyWhatHaveIDone
Upvote 0
Good. Now we know that the ROM works as it's intended to work. The issue seems to come from communicating with the card.

As stated above, try now to move only the Applications (Not Private apps. It is very small anyway).
Also, in Settings Advanced mode, un-check the below two things.

ss-320-2-3

I have that now set up as per your recommendation, plus I have also moved the Dalvik cache to SD so it runs normally now, plus I have plenty of internal storage.

Many thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones