• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photos and Mbs

MrJavi

Android Expert
Aug 21, 2019
South Texas
Can someone explain why pictures take with my old Note 4 always exceed 3 Mbs? I noticed from the thread below newer phones take pics without exceeding 2 Mgs from the link below.

https://androidforums.com/threads/share-your-photos-here.1324203/page-2#post-7981584

Screenshot_2020-06-26-00-21-26.png

Screenshot_2020-06-26-00-33-50.png

I'm aware of the high resolution of my photo but wouldn't the newer devices also have high res?

Screenshot_2020-06-26-01-06-38.png

The only way I can take pictures under 2 Mgs taking pics in 6.0m.

Jpegs are compressed, so the degree of compression makes a big difference to size. It could be that your newer phone is compressing more (which reduces quality as well as file size), but the sizes in your second shot seem extremely small - too small for me to believe that that is the explanation.

But the images in the second shot seem to be downloads, so the most likely is that uploading them reduced the resolution, increased the compression or both, i.e. that these are not the actual images taken with those cameras.

For the record, the jpeg images taken by my Pixel 2 (12 Mpix) range in size from 3.4 MB to 8 MB, depending on the amount of detail in the image, with 5-6 MB being typical.

Upvote 0
Jpegs are compressed, so the degree of compression makes a big difference to size. It could be that your newer phone is compressing more (which reduces quality as well as file size), but the sizes in your second shot seem extremely small - too small for me to believe that that is the explanation.

But the images in the second shot seem to be downloads, so the most likely is that uploading them reduced the resolution, increased the compression or both, i.e. that these are not the actual images taken with those cameras.

For the record, the jpeg images taken by my Pixel 2 (12 Mpix) range in size from 3.4 MB to 8 MB, depending on the amount of detail in the image, with 5-6 MB being typical.

It's reassuring to know the size of Mgs taken with my device is normal. Thank you :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
DCIM is for photos taken with the phone. Downloads are, well, downloaded from somewhere else. In his case, Android Forums.

The problem is that the Note 4 was unable to take small-file photos like VGA and WVGA... so I had to get an app called Reduce Photo Size to down-convert photos to any needed format. It's still very useful.

Upvote 0
I revised my post above, take a look

Thank you, I downloaded the app and will give it a try. I just realized , I have an HDR setting that was enabled. Its an S7 ported camera provided with an Aroma installer for another rom. I removed it and placed it i a flashable .zip and flashed it. Im not sure if this port also remedies the inability of the stock 4 in regard to small-file photos like VGA and WVG. In fact, it never occurred to me until your post. Thank you @THE CHIEF , much appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones