• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pixel 6 pre purchase questions

MrMister

Nov 15, 2010
I’m not an Android user, but son is and thinking of getting a Pixel 6. Currently there is a 20% off so here in Uk it’s around £500 new.

I’ve been reading up a bit and (I know most phones do), the Pixel 6 seems to have a few problems. Have these been sorted now with updates?

Specifically the fingerprint reader, is this sorted now, it’s one of the main runs in my opinion that you have to get right.

Looking at the 6 vs 6 Pro, I don’t think there is much difference apart from the extra camera and little bigger screen, so for the £200 extra think I’d stick with the 6.

He likes Samsung as well, but the S22 series are quite expensive, and he currently has a 6.7” screen think so I’d have to go for the + or ultra which are really expensive, reason I’m looking at 6.

So as of today (when is 7 released btw, I know the 6a potentially coming to would that be better?), is the 6 a solid phone, everything work well.

Thanks

Reactions: Williamsheikspare
I can't answer questions about the 6 as I don't have one. But as for the 6a and 7, since these haven't been announced they aren't options unless he can wait. If he can wait then based on past releases the Pixel 7 will probably be released in October (of course Google can decide whether to change their schedule, so nothing is certain, but that's when the last 6 models were released). The "a" models have varied more in their timing: the 3a was released in May (clearly not going to happen for the 6a), the 4a and 5a in August.

As for whether the 6a would be better, the "a" models are the cheaper models of the range. So it isn't likely to beat the 6 on specs, but is likely to be priced a bit lower than the list price of the 6 at the time when the 6a is released. That's all I can really say for sure. If the price of the 6 now is OK and people can give reassurance on the fingerprint reader then I doubt there's much point waiting a few months for the 6a.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply. Should have said no he can’t wait!! I’m buying it for his birthday next month just wanted to check possibly when 7 is released so Oct would be fine.

As I say I don’t know what fixes have been done, I’m hoping it being a Google product they are good at fixing

Will see what other a say
Thanks

Upvote 0
I've not had any issues with my Pixel 6 Pro.

It did take me a little bit to get used to the under-display fingerprint sensor; it is somewhat slower and less reliable than the rear sensor that was used on previous Pixel devices, but I have come to appreciate the convenience of having it on the front. At some point I realized that I needed to press a bit more firmly and that seems to have dramatically improved the accuracy. There have been a lot of reports from people who've applied tempered glass screen protectors which interfered dramatically with the fingerprint scanner so it's important to only buy protectors from reputable brands which can guarantee their compatibility. Saving a few bucks isn't worth it if it keeps you from being able to use the phone.

You're correct that the primary difference between Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro is the additional zoom lens on the rear camera array and the larger screen in the front. The Pro also packs a higher peak refresh rate (120Hz vs 90Hz), more RAM (12GB vs 8GB), and a larger storage option (512GB versus 256GB). For me, I was really keen to have a zoom lens again and that's the primary reason I went for the Pro. That's probably not worth the extra price for most people, and the standard Pixel 6 is probably the better buy.

Like @Hadron mentioned, new Pixel phones generally show up around October, and we can expect the new a-series Pixel to show up during the summer. a-series Pixels typically provide ~90% of the flagship experience at ~50% of the price but we'll have to see how that pans out for the 6a. Rumors do suggest that it will use the same Tensor chip that's in the Pixel 6 which is nice.

Upvote 0
I've not had any issues with my Pixel 6 Pro.

It did take me a little bit to get used to the under-display fingerprint sensor; it is somewhat slower and less reliable than the rear sensor that was used on previous Pixel devices, but I have come to appreciate the convenience of having it on the front. At some point I realized that I needed to press a bit more firmly and that seems to have dramatically improved the accuracy. There have been a lot of reports from people who've applied tempered glass screen protectors which interfered dramatically with the fingerprint scanner so it's important to only buy protectors from reputable brands which can guarantee their compatibility. Saving a few bucks isn't worth it if it keeps you from being able to use the phone.

You're correct that the primary difference between Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro is the additional zoom lens on the rear camera array and the larger screen in the front. The Pro also packs a higher peak refresh rate (120Hz vs 90Hz), more RAM (12GB vs 8GB), and a larger storage option (512GB versus 256GB). For me, I was really keen to have a zoom lens again and that's the primary reason I went for the Pro. That's probably not worth the extra price for most people, and the standard Pixel 6 is probably the better buy.

Like @Hadron mentioned, new Pixel phones generally show up around October, and we can expect the new a-series Pixel to show up during the summer. a-series Pixels typically provide ~90% of the flagship experience at ~50% of the price but we'll have to see how that pans out for the 6a. Rumors do suggest that it will use the same Tensor chip that's in the Pixel 6 which is nice.
Thanks for answers. As I’m paying I think it will be just the 6!! I think he’d prefer the 6 Pro as his current Samsung is 6.7” I think, whereas the 6 is 6.4”, and 6 Pro 6.5”.

Rumours suggest the 6a will be 6.2” screen so maybe the 6 is best compromise, as it’s a good discount as well.

So after a few updates the fingerprint and camera are good now? His current Samsung has an in display fingerprint system, and sometimes never works as well, maybe it’s just the technology at the moment?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So after a few updates the fingerprint and camera are good now?

The camera's never been an issue as far as I'm aware. The Pixel camera setup is consistently ranked as one of the best; others may inch ahead on the hardware side but I don't think anyone can compete with the software magic Google uses to process the photos and make every single shot great.

And yeah, the fingerprint reader has definitely gotten better with updates (and with users getting more used to it, I think).

His current Samsung has an in display fingerprint system, and sometimes never works as well, maybe it’s just the technology at the moment?

Yeah I think the tech just has some limitations.

For reference: the rear scanner on my previous Pixels worked instantly, every time; the front scanner on the Pixel 6 works quickly, most of the time.

Upvote 0
So after a few updates the fingerprint and camera are good now? His current Samsung has an in display fingerprint system, and sometimes never works as well, maybe it’s just the technology at the moment?
Samsung do something really stupid with the fingerprint sensor: all fingerprint sensors periodically ask for your PIN as verification (the PIN or password is regarded as more secure than the biometric). With my old Pixel 2 you'd know because the screen would light up to tell you you needed to enter your PIN this time. With my Galaxy s21 it does... nothing! You just keep pressing your finger on a black, unresponsive screen until you realise what's happened and tap to wake the screen up! It's just dumb that they give no visual indication precisely because looks like it just isn't working.

Apart from that stupidity I find the under-display scanner of my s21 fine. The biggest difference is that with the Pixel 2's rear scanner you could feel where it was so never missed it, whereas with the under-display one you often are a few mm off and need to take a second try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones