• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help to root no name android tx box.

andybadyfu

Lurker
Aug 20, 2013
Hi, wondering if anyone might be able to help me get root access on my new no name android tv box I bought off ebay.

The system info reads: Model Number: MBX reference board (g18ref)
Android version: 4.2.2
Kernel Version: 3.0.50 menghua@debian-ruipai#1 Mon Jul 22 19:09:00 HKT 2013
Build Number: JDQ39.20130722

Ive tried a few methods like z4root, super one click, rootx, with no luck. I have also tried to install universal android drivers, thinking this might be the problem or at least help me along, but my attempts failed. Obviously I'm a noob. I have successfully gained root access on several hand sets in the past but this one has got me stumped. Any help/ guide would be most appreciated. Thanks

Just go to XDA forum and check this post, download the Matricom image and you are set. Its for HD 18 v2.21 (Generic MX tv box 1gb / 8gb, also known as g18ref box or mx2ref box or an android TV Box or a generic MX Droid TV etc.

The image is ROOTED and flashing it UNBRICKS a device in case it is bricked.

http;//forum,xda-developers,com/showpost,php?p=45502307&postcount=12

replace ; with :
replace , with .

Can't post links yet.

Upvote 0
Hi, wondering if anyone might be able to help me get root access on my new no name android tv box I bought off ebay.

Ive tried a few methods like z4root, super one click, rootx, with no luck. I have also tried to install universal android drivers, thinking this might be the problem or at least help me along, but my attempts failed. Obviously I'm a noob. I have successfully gained root access on several hand sets in the past but this one has got me stumped. Any help/ guide would be most appreciated. Thanks
Have u been accessi g my accounts

Upvote 0

i have same android tv box please help me if you have gotten solution

Upvote 0
i have same android tv box please help me if you have gotten solution
ok so this guy posted only once in 2013 and has not come back to this forum, so i highly doubt you will get an answer from him.

and you have the same android tv box from 2013? are you sure that it is the exact same box? why are you trying to root it?

Upvote 0
ok so this guy posted only once in 2013 and has not come back to this forum, so i highly doubt you will get an answer from him.

and you have the same android tv box from 2013? are you sure that it is the exact same box? why are you trying to root it?
Probably attempting to install a more modern Android and make use of it, perhaps to get Disney+, Paramount+, or some other app that didn't exist when Android 4.2.2 or its TV platform was current. Without root, the only useable app on one of these things is Netflix. Even YouTube won't work. Kinda a shame they got less support than a 2010 Apple TV where all the built-in apps still work more than 10 years later.

I got a couple of various Android TV boxes that ran 4.2.2, would love to make use of them (I just refuse to toss things that still work out) but one only works with Netflix (which I no longer subscribe to) and AccuWeather, another was a Kodi box but Kodi is entirely broken, but hey, WeatherNation still works (better than The Weather Channel IMO) but that ain't enough to put them back into regular service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones