• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

porting old number to straight talk?

Also be aware many carriers are enforcing 'number transfer protection' to prevent ports for some odd reason. I dealt with that when porting from Straight Talk to Verizon Prepaid (to get my old S4 Mini working again). It took 4 hours of a conference call between me, Straight Talk and Verizon to sort it out. I have no clue what this transfer protection is other than yet another way to frustrate people; I thought modern life is supposed to be more convenient than life in the '60s but I'd love to go to the '60s and live simpler life than what I've had to put up with the last few years.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Also be aware many carriers are enforcing 'number transfer protection' to prevent ports for some odd reason. I dealt with that when porting from Straight Talk to Verizon Prepaid (to get my old S4 Mini working again). It took 4 hours of a conference call between me, Straight Talk and Verizon to sort it out. I have no clue what this transfer protection is other than yet another way to frustrate people; I thought modern life is supposed to be more convenient than life in the '60s but I'd love to go to the '60s and live simpler life than what I've had to put up with the last few years.
I'm thinking because there's so many scammers and or hackers nowadays they want to make sure it's actually you. But that's just my thoughts I may be wrong.

Upvote 0
Well I don't need companies trying to protect me from myself. It lost me 4 hours of my life and ended up being far more frustrating than it needed to be. I also disable 2FA because it ends up making the simple act of logging in a pain. I'm gettin' too old for this crap. Heck, I blacklist in uBlock any site relying on either reCaptcha or Cloudflare garbage. I can't even access APKMIRROR anymore because they apparently hate Windows Vista and Firefox.

Either way it was just FYI. I wouldn't wish that frustration on anyone.

Upvote 0
Well I don't need companies trying to protect me from myself. It lost me 4 hours of my life and ended up being far more frustrating than it needed to be. I also disable 2FA because it ends up making the simple act of logging in a pain. I'm gettin' too old for this crap. Heck, I blacklist in uBlock any site relying on either reCaptcha or Cloudflare garbage. I can't even access APKMIRROR anymore because they apparently hate Windows Vista and Firefox.

Either way it was just FYI. I wouldn't wish that frustration on anyone.
I may just get a new number not many people have it anyway so won't be many people to give new number to.

Upvote 0
Sadly I've had my number so long just about everyone knows it and getting a new one would make life more frustrating than the 4 hours lost to port over my existing one. So long as I don't ever leave Verizon (and LTE never shuts down) I'll be fine. My cell is only used for MMS/SMS and music these days. Phone calls are made/received on my landline. Nothing is that important enough to call me when I'm out and about. It can wait until I'm at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones