• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prediction: Auto and related industry..

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
my friend got a used Tesla.. 2016 P90 S- series.

the power and acceleration.. is crazy!!
the amount of control of the car via computer is great!
i can see how it was designed.. from ground up .. an electronic device that is used for transportation.

other car makers are working from the angle... Car with electronic add-ons.

in my opinion... i can see the future.
and here are my predictions: 20 yrs from now.
1. Electronic cars .. will be 97% of the cars on the road.
2. Auto-pilot will be in all cars. (95%)
3. most (60%) people will NOT own a car. they will pay into a service to use a pool of cars.
Just use app on phone.. less than 5 mins.. a self-driving car will show up.
anywhere! any style car you need (car/van/truck).
then you can drive or let the auto-pilot take you.
monthly fee- (estimated about - 1/4 of a car payment)
no insurance, no maintenance
4. Auto- insurance companies will reduce to...1 or 2 insurance providers
Auto-Service provider will insure their own cars.
5. because of the auto-pilot .. accidents will be reduced by 95%.
6. Repair shops.. autobody shops... tire shops.. will also greatly be reduced. few here and there.
7. there will be 2-3 car makers in the world.
8. Taxi service - Uber - Lyft - dead!
9. auto rental.. Enterprise - Hertz - dead!

LOL.. well.. only time will tell.

Electric motors are far more efficient than internal combustion engines in converting energy to torque. So yeah, acceleration isn't a problem. The annoyance is that with current battery technology you need a large car to get a long range (same problem with phones: big phone needed to hold a big battery).

As for Uber and Lyft, of course the "rent on demand" model is what Uber has explicitly got its eye on: the people who drive for them now are a stop-gap, who will be disposed of once the technology allows (in fact their current drivers' purpose is partly to establish the brand in preparation for this). I'll be surprised if the auto rental companies aren't making plans to be the providers of the services you describe as well. Of course not everyone will survive this transition, and it's far too early to say who the final winners will be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones