• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem Sending SMS to group

Appalbarry

Lurker
Apr 24, 2012
(Cross posted, as may be a Telus specific issue)

Nexus S; Jellybean; Telus Mobility

One of the main uses that I have for text messaging is to send a message to a group of about 45 people once or twice a month. I have yet to figure why I can't do this, despite trying several messaging apps.

I select the group that I wish to send to, and compose the message, and hit "Send."

All looks good, but then suddenly I get the following pop-up. And then need to click it 40 times, seemingly once for each message.

Screenshot_2013-08-13-14-45-59.png

Is this an Android thing? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

My messaging app (Textra, love it) says it's nothing to do with them.

Or is it the idiots at Telus Mobility?

Telus claims "Hello Barry! Sending multiple text messages from a phone is not a network feature, its a mobile phone feature. Most phones can only send up to 10 contacts at one time, so 44 people maybe the reason why you are being asked for the "allow" warning."

So, how can I remove this limitation in Android?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Personally I think that this is a pretty smart security feature. Most people don't send SMS to groups of that size. The only thing that normally does that is SPAM related apps and bots, so having this as a security feature makes a ton of sense to me.

Glad you found what you were looking for, but as far as Android having it set that way, I think that it's the right move. I seriously doubt it's a bug.

Upvote 0
It's a bug if it prevents a reasonable and arguably essential feature from being used. If I need to send to a group of people, and if my cel provider is prepared to handle the traffic, then it's not Google's business to tell me that I can't.

This is roughly equivalent to Google deciding that your phone is only allowed to make ten phone calls per day because some telemarketer might use it to flog time share condos.

If they set the cut off at a 1000 messages, or even a hundred, I could live with it, but TEN recipients? That's just stupid and unreasonable.

Reflashed the phone with Cyanogen, which doesn't have this limitation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones