• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question??? New 4G phone The Aviator

As far as I can tell, it's the same phone as the Droid Charge, a midrange phone that was introduced over a year ago. It seems to be pretty comparable to the Samsung Mesmerize in terms of hardware (but more RAM, which is good) with the added 4G antenna. Personally, I'm a bit annoyed that this was all they were able to get for a 4G phone. I was really hoping that the GSII would have been the 4G phone that USCC was releasing.

I might be getting one once they come out, since I'm due for an upgrade. I'll probably get either the Aviator or the GSII.

Upvote 0
No point in a 4G phone until the 4G signal is in your area. I have read that the current (all carrier) 4G phones are having some problems getting a strong 3G signal when the 4G signal is not available. That does not sound good. Time will tell.

As far as the mid-range Samsung Aviator...well, I have been comparing the USCC phone choices to the Ford/Lincoln line of vehicles (and I'm a proud Ford man.) There are a lot of great Ford products, but even with the high end build-level of any, they are still not a "Lincoln." This seems to be the case with USCC phones as well. A lot of great choices, but still no "Lincolns" available. And for the person who would like to have the very best...unfortunately...still not an option for a USCC customer. We continue to get handed 1-2 year old phone models that have been retooled for USCC. Annoying, and disappointing for sure.

USCC can run with, and even out do, the "big boys" when it comes to customer service and loyalty rewards programs, but are still the "little fish in the pond" when it comes to phone choices. Oh well.

Upvote 0
I say get the phone, even if you only have 3G, its an LTE phone, so chances are better that in the future you WILL get 4G!

Here in Wisconsin Us Cellular has always dumped tons of money into its network! The 4G Network is super fast, Faster then most WIFI Connections while doing Speed Tests. When not on 4G, i always have a strong 3G Connection and NEVER have i dropped to 1X (2G Edge)....

The Phone Itself is worth it! The 8MP Camera and HD 720P Video is Outstanding. The Front Facing Camera is also amazing even with it only having a 1.4MP Camera! The Phone itself is fast, Texting is fast! 16GIG SD CARD included, Great Audio Sound, Call Quality! A Great Feature called ALL SHARE! Set up a share folder or Windows Media Player Share Network and your phone can view ANYTHING Your computer is sharing, including TV shows, Movies, Video's, Pictures and more as long as you are on your home wifi network! Lets not also forget that being LTE, the Data and VOICE are not connected! Meaning you can SURF THE WEB on 4G LTE while talking on the phone at the SAME TIME!

The Phone is amazing, and I would def try to find a US CELLULAR store to go play with one!

Upvote 0
Jeez, simmer down. I said that I was disappointed with the phone. I'm glad you like yours. There are objectively better phones out there. That is not up for discussion. There is literally no way in which the SIII is not a better phone than the Aviator. That's a fact.

By the way, I'm not judging the book by its cover. I've had the Aviator since the second day it was out. I have put it through its paces. I know what it's capable of, and what it's not.

By the way, I have no idea how you get through 12-hour days with "heavy use." Mine will go from 100% to 25% in a normal 8-hour work day with almost no use. Maybe you and I have different understandings of what constitutes "heavy" use.

Upvote 0
Off topic but does anyone know if USCellular allows Verizon phones on their network? Verizon is annoying me with their poor coverage here. USCellular is the only other option.
Nope. The phones are programmed only to work on their own networks. It's possible to mod them, I believe, but it only works with a few phones that are identical, hardware-wise. You have to flash new modems and such. Unless you have a Samsung Fascinate, I'm about 99% sure you're out of luck.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
chances are better that in the future you WILL get 4G!

The 4G Network is super fast, Faster then most WIFI Connections while doing Speed Tests.

The 8MP Camera and HD 720P Video is Outstanding. ,

Texting is fast!

you can SURF THE WEB on 4G LTE while talking on the phone at the SAME TIME!
1. At the rate uscc is rolling out its "3G" LTE network, customers might not have service until several years down the road.
2. How fast, in MBPS? From what I have seen, the USCC LTE network provides absolutely dismal speeds.....
3. 8MP !?!??! Awesome! More megapixels on a smaller sensor ftw!
4. I would hope texting is fast on every cell phone ever made.
5. Finally! We have only been able to do that for a few I mean tens of years on GSM.

Upvote 0
It must just be Wisconsin that gets Fast 4G LTE! Because i have yet to find DISMAL Speeds, and after testing out t-mobile and Verizon's LTE, Us Cellular takes the cake!

Why does everyone put this phone down? What do you people want, its a CELL PHONE! And for what its worth, still the best one i have ever had, and i don't WANT a bigger screen! I want a cell phone! Why not make the Ipad into the new Iphone! You can put that big screen up to your ear!

Everyone is telling people to RUN screaming from this phone based on "What they See".. Yet I actually bit the bullet and bought it and am telling you to give it a shot! Its no S3, but it is most def. up there with the big dogs whether you want to believe it or not!

Yes i am sure we have different views on Heavy Use! I do not use my phone as a computer! I check facebook multiple times a day, watch atleast and hour of youtube video's throughout the day, take tons of photo's of everything i see, listen to music constantly throughout the day with my driving, plus texting, phone calls and more! I do get atleast 10-12 hours before its about to shut itself down!

Upvote 0
It must just be Wisconsin that gets Fast 4G LTE! Because i have yet to find DISMAL Speeds, and after testing out t-mobile and Verizon's LTE, Us Cellular takes the cake!

Why does everyone put this phone down? What do you people want, its a CELL PHONE! And for what its worth, still the best one i have ever had, and i don't WANT a bigger screen! I want a cell phone! Why not make the Ipad into the new Iphone! You can put that big screen up to your ear!

Everyone is telling people to RUN screaming from this phone based on "What they See".. Yet I actually bit the bullet and bought it and am telling you to give it a shot! Its no S3, but it is most def. up there with the big dogs whether you want to believe it or not!

Yes i am sure we have different views on Heavy Use! I do not use my phone as a computer! I check facebook multiple times a day, watch atleast and hour of youtube video's throughout the day, take tons of photo's of everything i see, listen to music constantly throughout the day with my driving, plus texting, phone calls and more! I do get atleast 10-12 hours before its about to shut itself down!

Did I put the phone down! No. I suggested he get a new one via insurance.

I mean really!

Upvote 0

So far I have been the most critical of the Aviator, and I have had mine longer than you (unless you got yours the day it came out). Seriously, I'm not insulting your mother. I'm saying that in my (very extensive) experience with the phone, it kind of sucks. If you're happy with it, more power to you. I'm glad. It's not a TERRIBLE phone, it's just pretty mediocre, and compared to what else is available, it's nothing to write home about. It does what it's supposed to, for the most part, but it's laggy and underperforming compared to the S3, or even most of the mid-range phones available on other networks. Let's not forget that this is essentially a two-year-old phone (It's the same as the Droid Charge), which is an eternity in the smartphone world.

Upvote 0
Why do you refuse to post in mbps how fast you are getting? A 1 mbps connection would be screaming to a 56k user, so your subjective opinion isn't exactly helpful in regards to speed. You say Us Cellular beats Verizon LTE, so I suppose you are getting around 75-100mbps download speeds then?... 65mbps SpeedTest Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE - YouTube Also, T-Mobile doesn't have 4G. HSPA+ is not 4G, despite their marketing BS.

Upvote 0
Why do you refuse to post in mbps how fast you are getting? A 1 mbps connection would be screaming to a 56k user, so your subjective opinion isn't exactly helpful in regards to speed. You say Us Cellular beats Verizon LTE, so I suppose you are getting around 75-100mbps download speeds then?... 65mbps SpeedTest Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE - YouTube Also, T-Mobile doesn't have 4G. HSPA+ is not 4G, despite their marketing BS.
I normally get around 8-15MBPS. That's pretty run of the mill when it comes to 4G in most areas. I've seen reports of up to 24, but I haven't achieved that.

Also, it's hardly normal for an LTE network to put out 65mpbs downloads. From what I've seen, most LTE networks run 10-12 for the most part.

Upvote 0
I think that US Cellular has a 30 trial for phones you buy. If you don't like it you can exchange it for another, at least they did a few years back before i switched to prepaid. A co worker has the aviator, it seems like a great phone. To those with laggy phones, My phone started lagging bad and i did a system clean and now it is like new again. Apparently the sytem stores all types of logs, apps don't uninstall properly, etc. Like a pc need to to a disk clean up occasionally. Just an idea to try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones