• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Re-flashing Nexus 6

php111

Android Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2013
I was asking Rxpert83 in a private PM and he told me to post in public (I am sorry about that).

He posted me guide to re-flash the Nexus 6 device: However, I have numerous of questions to ask.

I read that re-flashing guide.

Here are some parts of that guide does not make sense, do not know what to type in, and do not know where to get those files from. So, here we go :)

Step 6.) fastboot "rest of command", what is the rest of that command I am typing in?

Do I type in the above first before typing this in? fastboot devices

Step 7.) how do I know if my bootloader is locked or unlocked?

Step 9.)
fastboot flash bootloader "name of bootloader"
fastboot reboot-bootloader, what would be the exact name of the bootloader I would type in inside of the quotes?

Step 10.) Nexus 6 is a phone, so first where do I get those radios from to flash? Second, which radios am I flashing? Third, do I use this exact command regardless of the radio?
fastboot flash radio "name of radio"
fastboot reboot-bootloader, fourth, how do I flash the LTE radio, after that than how do I flash the CDMA radio? Fifth, in the quotes, what is the name of the radio I am typing?

Step 11.) Would you prefer which of these two ways?

Flash fastboot -w update "name of zip file"

OR flash these fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img

Than after flashing those four than flash these

fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

And this is the thread he provided in PM: http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-flash-a-nexus-factory-image-manually.706533/

Before you do anything, what exactly is the issue? Why are you looking to flash factory image?
In the recent past, Google has started providing full factory images in the form of an OTA file - much easier to flash, and doesn't wipe data (no need to unlock bootloader) - hence the question. Why are you looking to flash the factory image?

Here are answers to your question though. If you don't fully understand the steps, ask questions before you do anything (as you have done with this post). Start this only after you fully understand the steps.
Fastboot flashing the factory images is not that hard (it looks complicated to somebody that hasn't done this before). The part that most people struggle with (from what I've seen) is getting the fastboot drivers installed :)

Read the last few lines in step 6 about fastboot devices.
After you install the fastboot drivers, go into fastboot mode on your phone, and connect phone to computer, and run the fastboot devices command. If you don't get back a serial number, do not proceed. It will NOT work.

Step 6.) fastboot "rest of command", what is the rest of that command I am typing in?

Step 6 is just an introduction to fastboot - basically how to execute fastboot commands. The "rest of command" will be replaced by the actual command - see steps 7 onwards - example "fastboot erase boot" - in here, the "erase boot" is the "rest of the command"

When you boot up your phone (from complete power off), when you see the initial Google text on a black screen, do you see a padlock at the bottom of the screen? If so, that usually means your bootloader is unlocked. Else, you can go into your recovery, and see the status of the bootloader.
Remember that unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone of all your data, so backup whatever you need first.

fastboot reboot-bootloader, what would be the exact name of the bootloader I would type in inside of the quotes?
"name of bootloader" will be the bootloader.img file you downloaded and unzipped (along with several other .img files) in step 3 and step 11. Basically, you download a .tgz file, and unzip it. That will result in another zip file (actually a .tar file) - unzip that too. You should then see several zip files, including "bootloader???????.img" where the ??????? will change from file to file - that file name is what you'll put in place of "name of bootloader" in the fastboot command

Step 10.) Nexus 6 is a phone, so first where do I get those radios from to flash? Second, which radios am I flashing? Third, do I use this exact command regardless of the radio?
fastboot reboot-bootloader, fourth, how do I flash the LTE radio, after that than how do I flash the CDMA radio? Fifth, in the quotes, what is the name of the radio I am typing?
The radio???????.img (where ??????? will vary from file to file) is one of the .img files you will extract from the tgz/tar file. So, your command (for example) could be
fastboot flash radio radio-shamu-d4.01-9625-05.34+fsg-9625-02.111.img
(the actual file name may vary), This file has all the radios you need - no need to flash separate radio files

I always use the 2nd process that flashes each file one by one. The first one has never worked for me (and for several others) - not sure if Google ever fixed that.

Upvote 0
Hey jj14x,

First, thanks so much for explaining all of this to me!!

Second, why am I looking to re-flash?

Well (http://m.ebay.com/itm/Nexus-6-XT110...-Unlocked-41-Smartphone-/322195884916?txnId=0) I did a bid on this and won the bid, it says it has cracked screen, all else works great - just in case it does not work great because for one it is used and for two we all know we cannot trust sellers like this so that is why the re-flashing comes in to get rid of those issues if any even though the seller says it works. After that I was going to root anyway. I was going to use the used Nexus 6 phone from eBay as my only and primary phone.

Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
Good idea. As long as the digitizer works (and only the screen is cracked), it should work ok.

I usually unlock the bootloader as soon as I get the phone. That way, if/when I decide to flash, you don't have to worry about having to factory reset your phone.
Having said that, Google recently started publishing OTA images - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota . These, unlike regular OTA files, are full images that can be installed using ADB - basically, the same as flashing the factory image, but without having to unlock the bootloader, or wiping the phone. Just something to consider.

Having an unlocked bootloader can get you out of a bind - in case your phone gets stuck mid-flash, or something else causes a bootloop. But, also understand that an unlocked bootloader can allow a technically informed person to get to your data, if they have their phone. Personally, I think the risk it worth it, but just wanted you to be aware.

While you are waiting for the phone, go ahead and download the latest factory image from Google's site, and unzip it - just so you understand the steps that are outlined in that sticky. Also, go ahead and install the latest fastboot/adb drivers while you are at it

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I was asking Rxpert83 in a private PM and he told me to post in public (I am sorry about that).

No need to be sorry, I'm always happy to help. However, I don't always check my PM's everyday so opening a thread will probably get you answers quicker as well as help anyone else who comes looking for the same answers in the future :)

He posted me guide to re-flash the Nexus 6 device: However, I have numerous of questions to ask.

I read that re-flashing guide.

Here are some parts of that guide does not make sense, do not know what to type in, and do not know where to get those files from. So, here we go :)

Essentially - once you have fastboot downloaded you point a command window to its location (if its in documents, usually the command is something along the lines of:
"cd documents" [enter]
"cd fastboot-tools" [enter]
"fastboot devices" [enter]

cd = change directory. The command window needs to know where to find the files you are going to tell it to flash

For the sake of clarity I will no longer type [enter] . However, you'll submit each command.

The "fastboot devices" command is used in order to verify everything is working correctly. If everything is working it will show devices connected. If its not working the command will return 0 results.

To do the actual flashing you will enter the following commands (note bootloader and radio filenames change with each update. inset whatever filename is included with your download):
fastboot flash bootloader bootloaderfilename.img
fastboot flash radio radiofilename.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img (vendor files may not exist for nexus 6. if it isnt included with the download dont bother)
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot reboot

When the device is booting up, if the devices bootloader is unlocked there will be a little unlocked padlock image shown on the bottom portion of the screen. Thats the easiest way to tell.

Step 9.)

It changes with each update. It will be the only bootloader and radio files included with the factory image

All needed files are included in the factory image download. You use the actual name of the file. There is only 1 radio file, no need to flash CDMA and LTE seperately.

Flash fastboot -w update "name of zip file"

OR flash these fastboot flash system system.img

Than after flashing those four than flash these

fastboot erase userdata

I use the second method. If you use the first dont bother with the -w command. As thats telling it NOT to wipe the userdata, and then you are wiping it after anyway.

"fastboot flash update updatefilename.zip" will wipe the system and flash the files automatically. I do it separately (and encourage others to do so as well) because its easier to fix problems that may arise if you know how to do the 2nd method.

And this is the thread he provided in PM: http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-flash-a-nexus-factory-image-manually.706533/

Responses in red :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just thought of this:

If you just want to get back to stock with a freshly installed system, you can just use the nexus root toolkit to automate the process.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Its a tool used for rooting, but included with it are the processes involved in undoing those steps. That second half is what you would take advantage of.

In that case you just go through the initial setup to get the drivers working and then hit the flash stock+unroot button. It'll download the necessary files and do all the command like work for you in the background

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones