• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recovery Keycombo for Devices That Won't

sammyz

LG Whiz Kid
  • Jun 3, 2011
    Ok, well we have recovery, but some of us have no way to boot into it in an emergency situation (such as when you cannot boot device).

My solution? Flashing recovery onto the laf partition and using the download mode key combo works (volume up+usb). You only need USB power to get the key combo working, not a PC, so a charger will work. We can then either zero out the recovery partition or flash laf.img onto the recovery partition for fastboot/download mode (your choice). You're probably wondering why put anything onto the recovery partition if no access to it? Ahhhhh but that's where you're wrong. In cwm there's an advanced option to "reboot recovery" which will boot into the recovery partition which will now be either fastboot or download mode (depending on what you prefer).

How to use download mode keycombo to boot to recovery:
    Confirmed, WORKING..here's how to do it
    *Disclaimer: im not responsible for anything that happens to your device*

1. Plug in your device to your computer.
    2. Open up command prompt.
    3. Type adb shell and then su
    4. Type
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
    5. if youre recovery.img is not in /sdcard/ simply replace that path to where your recovery.img is on your phone and reboot into download mode :) should put you into recovery
    What do you all think?

I'll probably add this option to my tool in this thread: http://androidforums.com/l70-all-things-root/863389-tool-lg-l70-laf-recovery-multitool.html

Ok, well we have recovery, but some of us have no way to boot into it in an emergency situation (such as when you cannot boot device).

My solution? Flashing recovery onto the laf partition and using the download mode key combo works (volume up+usb). You only need USB power to get the key combo working, not a PC, so a charger will work. We can then either zero out the recovery partition or flash laf.img onto the recovery partition for fastboot/download mode (your choice). You're probably wondering why put anything onto the recovery partition if no access to it? Ahhhhh but that's where you're wrong. In cwm there's an advanced option to "reboot recovery" which will boot into the recovery partition which will now be either fastboot or download mode (depending on what you prefer).

What do you all think?

Awesome man thanks sammyz

Upvote 0

4. Type dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
    5. if your recovery.img is not in /sdcard/ simply replace that path to where your recovery.img is and reboot into download mode :) should put you into recovery

Upvote 0
    So will fastboot still work if we try to connect it to a computer? Or is it not necessary anymore due to being able to boot into CWM now...? Sorry for all the noob questions I'm just trying to pick these things back up, technology has advanced so much already since the LG Motion (and that was hard enough for me to comprehend)...please bare with me! =]

BTW

CWM confirmed working on my device also!

Upvote 0
    So will fastboot still work if we try to connect it to a computer? Or is it not necessary anymore due to being able to boot into CWM now...? Sorry for all the noob questions I'm just trying to pick these things back up, technology has advanced so much already since the LG Motion (and that was hard enough for me to comprehend)...please bare with me! =]

BTW

If you followed the guide i typed youll boot into cwm from the Download mode keycombo

Upvote 0

BTW

if you go to advanced and reboot recovery in cwm you can boot into fastboot or download mood and it will still work (i tested fastboot, but not download)

Upvote 0
    only if you zero out the recovery partition or flash laf.img onto the recovery partition will that work :)

okay I'm slow to catch on so bare with me...only way to pretty much get download mode back is to zero out the recovery partition...or install the laf.img we got from unlocking the bootloader that should of been copied over to our computer right? (thats where mine is anyway) Or I guess the alternative could be the LG Laf Multitool?

Upvote 0
    okay I'm slow to catch on so bare with me...only way to pretty much get download mode back is to zero out the recovery partition...or install the laf.img we got from unlocking the bootloader that should of been copied over to our computer right? (thats where mine is anyway) Or I guess the alternative could be the LG Laf Multitool?

My multitool doesn't have a command to flash laf.img to the recovery partition (yet).

My multitool will only currently flash laf.img to laf partition and zero the laf patition for booting to fastboot, then all the other options are there as well.

Upvote 0

4. Type dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
    5. if your recovery.img is not in /sdcard/ simply replace that path to where your recovery.img is and reboot into download mode :) should put you into recovery

How do you do this manually fastboot/adb is not recognizing my sd card

Upvote 0
    I've got CWM installed and have loaded the Zippy rom. But I cannot get my phone to boot into recovery from the key combo no matter what I do.I tried going to using the command propmpt but every time I do I get the message that adb is not recognized asa valid path. Same for trying to use the su command in command prompt.

Mt laf file is located in the downloads folder right now should it be moved to somewhere else? Also when I use the power on and volume up button combo I get back to the download prompt. I've tried mashing buttons but the best I can get to happen is I end up in safe mode.

Upvote 0
    I've got CWM installed and have loaded the Zippy rom. But I cannot get my phone to boot into recovery from the key combo no matter what I do.I tried going to using the command propmpt but every time I do I get the message that adb is not recognized asa valid path. Same for trying to use the su command in command prompt.

Mt laf file is located in the downloads folder right now should it be moved to somewhere else? Also when I use the power on and volume up button combo I get back to the download prompt. I've tried mashing buttons but the best I can get to happen is I end up in safe mode.

1) Zippy is a kernel, not a ROM.
    2) Did you try extracting everything in the zip file first?
    3) su is not a valid command either; to use su you must use adb shell first (then grant permission on the phone screen after typing su).

Upvote 0
    Yeah I did extract everything in the folder then used the run option, No matter what I do I cannot get this phone to recognize adb shell command.

I can boot into the downloader prompt we used to repair the bricked phone. Is there anyway to access the CWM screen from there? I've tried differant button combos but just still cannot get to the CWM command screen unless I actually start my phone normally and then use either Quick boot or the Rebooter from Playful God.

Until I can get to a computer that functions properly (mine is in bad shape) I probably won't get this straightened out. Thanks for your patience with me and all the help provided.

Upvote 0
    Sadly you may be right. As each time I am forced to use windows on my computer the hard drive degrades more and more. You know its really sorry when a $49 phone can out perform a pc. I guess I'll just have to hit the lotto before I can afford a new computer, Still its a miracle I've been able to root and unlock the bootloader and install CWM.

My kids laugh at me when they come by and see me sitting here tapping my fingers waiting for the computer to unlock again and respond. Like I said it can take 40 minutes or more before it actually starts functioning again and then after five minutes it will freeze up again.

Being on Veterans disability of $1054 a month doesn't allow me any room to afford a new system. Hopefully I can save a few bucks and at least get a new hard drive and then find someone to help me install it properly and recover anything I can from the corrupted drive. Have patience with me and my questions about how to get things done with this phone

Many Thanks for all the help I've gotten from those on this forum over the past couple of years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones